#148238  by kurt eye

I'll post some clips when I get a chance. I've been meaning to anyway.
 #148242  by Free Jazz

I'm really enjoying this thread! So many custom-inspired, well thought out, practical ideas on-hand. 'Looking forward to hearing some clips of these amazing utility rigs.
 #148275  by kurt eye

Here are some sound clips of my rig:

Strat w/ blocked trem-->D.A. Voodoo 69 pick ups-->Stratoblaster pedal-->SMS preamp-->Carvin DCM200L-->JBL K-120 reconed to D-120 specs in a 1x12 combo box of walnut and maple.

The sound quality and playing for that matter aren't great, but hopefully you get a sense of the tone. :smile:

https://soundcloud.com/shrimper-skippy/stella-jam
https://soundcloud.com/shrimper-skippy/bird-song-jam
https://soundcloud.com/shrimper-skippy/morning-dew-jam
 #148395  by keirweir

Thanks for sharing some tonal examples!

I'm curious to find out if you're using the SMS reverb and what kind of guitar pick you are using.

Keep up the playing, sounds good!

keir
 #148402  by kurt eye

keirweir wrote:Thanks for sharing some tonal examples!

I'm curious to find out if you're using the SMS reverb and what kind of guitar pick you are using.

keir

Thanks, Keir. Yes I'm using the SMS reverb dialed to about 2 o' clock. I'm playing at a moderate volume, treble around 4 o'clock, mid at 9 o'clock and bass at 0. I'm using the middle setting on the bright/dark switch. For a pick I'm using a smooth black Dunlop pick that I got in a pack of strings. I don't have any specs on it. Its on the thicker side with just a little bend. As you can see, I'm not too picky about my picks. I'm using Vinci strings.
 #148406  by Searing75

kurt eye wrote:
keirweir wrote:Thanks for sharing some tonal examples!

keir

Thanks, Keir. Yes I'm using the SMS reverb dialed to about 2 o' clock. I'm playing at a moderate volume, treble around 4 o'clock, mid at 9 o'clock and bass at 0. I'm using the middle setting on the bright/dark switch. For a pick I'm using a smooth black Dunlop pick that I got in a pack of strings. I don't have any specs on it. Its on the thicker side with just a little bend. As you can see, I'm not too picky about my picks. I'm using Vinci strings.
Get picky! The Adamas picks that Jerry used are a huge contributor to his tone!
 #148421  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a try. I'm thinking about cutting off my middle finger as well :lol:
 #148422  by Searing75

kurt eye wrote:
Searing75 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a try. I'm thinking about cutting off my middle finger as well :lol:
The pick thing may seem overboard to you, but I guarantee you will be amazed at the difference in tone when using them. They are a big part of the equation!
 #148423  by keirweir

Searing75 wrote:
kurt eye wrote:
Searing75 wrote:
The pick thing may seem overboard to you, but I guarantee you will be amazed at the difference in tone when using them. They are a big part of the equation!
I went through this about 4 years ago... I was suspect about the pick initially - I had been using a particular 3mm teardrop pick for at least 5 years and loved it. But when I tried the Adamas it was a big improvement on tone and attack and NOT just for Jerry stuff. Its a great pick for all kinds of music!
 #148428  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote:
kurt eye wrote:
Searing75 wrote:

I'm sold on your recommendations for the Adamas picks. Thanks for the advice.
 #148568  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote:
I got picky with it. I ordered myself some Adamas picks. Love 'em.
 #148575  by Searing75

There ya go! :cool:
 #148610  by BJolley

This is a fantastic build. Really nice work. Perhaps a silly question that will belie my electrical ignorance, but what is the power conditioner and what does it do? I would have assumed you could just include the SMS preamp and Carvin power amp and be good to go. Do you plug the SMS and Carvin into the PC and then plug the PC into the outlet?
 #148614  by hippieguy1954

BJolley wrote:what is the power conditioner and what does it do? I would have assumed you could just include the SMS preamp and Carvin power amp and be good to go. Do you plug the SMS and Carvin into the PC and then plug the PC into the outlet?
Here: http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=M-8x2