rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #138645  by Dozin
 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:53 pm
Right! 15k. What am I missing here?
 #138646  by waldo041
 Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:49 pm
I believe only 10 of this first version were made, the first 2 with 3 single coils going to Jerry. There were actually only 3 - 3 single coil versions, it was a scrap one owned in pieces by a former TB employee. It sold for some good change a few years back, with the original pickguard template for Jerry's. Eric Clapton is also listed as getting one of these first 9. Very Rare guitar.


~waldo
 #138650  by tatittle
 Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:09 pm
The hypothetical question for a lazy boy like me who cannot concieve owning one is: Do you have it modified to accept the quintessential middle pickup? Hacking up 1 of 10 of these historic guitars is a pretty cavalier move...I don't think I could do it, Im sure it sounds terrific as is.
 #138651  by waldo041
 Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:13 pm
tatittle wrote:The hypothetical question for a lazy boy like me who cannot concieve owning one is: Do you have it modified to accept the quintessential middle pickup? Hacking up 1 of 10 of these historic guitars is a pretty cavalier move...I don't think I could do it, Im sure it sounds terrific as is.
No, you have it thoroughly inspected and cloned with a 3rd middle pickup in your new line of them!

~waldo
 #138658  by DHM
 Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 pm
It went for over $32K....
 #138668  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 am
waldo041 wrote:
No, you have it thoroughly inspected and cloned with a 3rd middle pickup in your new line of them!

~waldo

I'm sure someone, somewhere is looking into that!
 #138671  by James-T
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23 am
Makes me realize why I like "player" guitars versus collector's guitars. Is that 32k worth of better tone? Probably not. Is a 57 Strat a better instrument than a 57 Strat AVRI? Probably not. But you get to brag to all your hedge fund manager buddies at cocktail parties for the bank.

That Guitar Aficionado article talks about the hedge fund managers kneeling down and kissing Jerry's guitars at the auction like they are communing with God.

Peace,

James
 #138672  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:51 am
James-T wrote:Makes me realize why I like "player" guitars versus collector's guitars. Is that 32k worth of better tone? Probably not. Is a 57 Strat a better instrument than a 57 Strat AVRI? Probably not. But you get to brag to all your hedge fund manager buddies at cocktail parties for the bank.

That Guitar Aficionado article talks about the hedge fund managers kneeling down and kissing Jerry's guitars at the auction like they are communing with God.

Peace,

James
The price is only due to the fact of how rare it is. Only 10 or so of these were made. To any collector that is a big deal. With any item of value. Not just great guitars.
I'm not a collector and I also like players, but I know collectors and can understand where they come from. :smile:
 #138675  by tatittle
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08 pm
If you were like me and under the impression this TB was the 1st aluminum electric guitar, you would join me in being wrong :?

I just saw the 1st Rickenbacker, circa 1930's, and 1 of the first electric guitars anywhere, was cast aluminum!
It was called the "frying pan" because of the metal. It was actually more like a Hawaiian lap steel thing...but electric 6 string nonetheless.
 #138676  by TI4-1009
 Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:37 pm
tatittle wrote:I just saw the 1st Rickenbacker, circa 1930's, and 1 of the first electric guitars anywhere, was cast aluminum!
It was called the "frying pan" because of the metal. It was actually more like a Hawaiian lap steel thing...but electric 6 string nonetheless.
Hey- we watch Antiques Roadshow too! Quick shot of John Hall at the beginning of that.
 #143948  by TI4-1009
 Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 am
Post from a guy on TGP about Jerry buying his first Bean.

"I was in Draper's Music one day and was talking to the manager there. They were down the street from the Keystone Palo Alto where Jerry played a lot. He told me that one day Jerry came in and was killing time and they said "Hey, Jerry, check out this guitar. Jerry said, "Oh, jeeze, another weird guitar." But he picked it up and played it for a while. He brought it to the counter and paid for it with uncashed gig checks he had in his coat pockets and random bills in his jeans. And that's how he came to buy his first Travis Bean guitar."
 #143958  by James-T
 Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 am
That's a cool story. And a long way away in philosophy from paying 32k for a collector's guitar. Random checks in his pockets - LOL.

Doesn't Gilmore have the 001 57ish Stratocaster? There's a player and a collector. Like if being Gilmore isn't enough bragging rights.
David explained to Guitarist in 1986 how he got his hands on the guitar: ”Eventually Phil wanted to borrow some money to buy a house, so I blackmailed him! I said the only way I’d lend him the money to buy the house, was if he sold me the white Strat…”. This must have been sometime around 1976-77. Apparently, the guitar had originally belonged to Leo Fender who gave (or sold) it to Seymour Duncan. Duncan later sold it to Phil in the mid 70’s for $900.
A really good buddy has a 57 stratocatser. It was his uncle's. Plays in a dead cover band too. He told me a few weeks ago that in the 80's he took it in and A/B'd it with a 57 AVRI. He almost sold it and replaced it with the clone. He said they were identical almost in tone. A few years later someone offered him 5k for it at a gig.

He's no collector though. Just a player. He keeps it now at his brother's place and plays a Tokai at gigs.

Peace,

James