#134188  by Winterland

Had a tube issue and changed the tubes. Noticed a way different sound. I was wondering if
anyone had the same experience. I am using a 12AX7R and noticed a great distortion sound. Not too much
but enough to play chords cleanish and have a great lead tone. What are you guys using?
 #134195  by Jon S.

I would appreciate learning from others' experiences here, too. Since I got my FYD, I've noticed, among other things, that while both are excellent for Jerry tone, the sweep on the FYD's mid control is greater than that on my SMS, allowing for a fuller/meatier tone when desired. I do NOT want to get into modifying any of my SMS's components but would consider a tube swap if helpful.
 #134198  by Smolder

old stock RCA short blackplates. Best tubes ever in a fender IMHO.
 #134199  by Jon S.

Accepting that there are no equal new stock tubes to the old RCA blackplates, what in your view comes closest?
 #134201  by Smolder

Jon S. wrote:Accepting that there are no equal new stock tubes to the old RCA blackplates, what in your view comes closest?
I'm not the guy to ask about new manufactured tubes - I just don't know, though I was impressed with the ones that Brad ships with the unit. You might reach out to him directly... I suspect he chose them based upon their tone rather than price like a lot of larger manufacturers.
 #134204  by Jon S.

Or Brad could chime in here directly. In any event, like many here (you, too, probably), I have drawers full of preamp tubes, old stock (GE, RCA, Phillips, Raytheon) and new (Groove Tubes, EH, JJ, Sovtek, etc.). Sounds like a fun upcoming afternoon at some point (tube testing in the SMS)!
 #134244  by claytushaywood

if you wanna get some good NOS tubes at a reasonable price I recommend kcanostubes - Ive bought severeal ANOS ("almost new old stock"- means theyre slightly used but tested) with great results. I actually really love putting a 5751 in a fender's first gain stage. it lowers the amount of preamp gain youll get, and i think it adds a ton of sparkle and depth. dont know about an SMS though never tried em in one
 #134250  by Smolder

Jon S. wrote:Or Brad could chime in here directly. In any event, like many here (you, too, probably), I have drawers full of preamp tubes, old stock (GE, RCA, Phillips, Raytheon) and new (Groove Tubes, EH, JJ, Sovtek, etc.). Sounds like a fun upcoming afternoon at some point (tube testing in the SMS)!
Yah - I haven't seen Brad posting much. What with a couple of new amp and pedal products... he seems to be growing beyond this relatively small market... and that does take a ton of time.
 #134254  by Jon S.

claytushaywood wrote:if you wanna get some good NOS tubes at a reasonable price I recommend kcanostubes - Ive bought severeal ANOS ("almost new old stock"- means theyre slightly used but tested) with great results. I actually really love putting a 5751 in a fender's first gain stage. it lowers the amount of preamp gain youll get, and i think it adds a ton of sparkle and depth. dont know about an SMS though never tried em in one
I know Mike Kropoktin for years - he's local to me in northern VA - and agree that he's both extremely knowledgeable and usually has a nice selection on hand. I've bought many tubes from Mike over the years (though admittedly not lately as I'm trying to emphasize good-sounding new stock tubes to the extent I can plus I've moved to SS power amps) and wouldn't hesitate also to recommend him to others. In fact, Mike's already recommended for me in this case an NOS RFT.

Mike's post: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=20

Full thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... ?t=1349487
 #134381  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I love the sound of RCA 7025's or 12AX7's. There's something real nice about the top-top end, not so glassy, works well with a treble-on-10 kind of approach.

I'm here, not gone, just busy - less internet time.

B
 #134389  by Jon S.

Hi, Brad. I've got some of each and will try them!
 #134578  by gpilcher2001

I started using the TAD brand 12ax7 after reading about them on sarnos website. I think they're shaugong? Chinnese tube. They do sound the best to me out of the jj's and the russian ones I've tried. All though I'm using them an ab763 clone I built, not an sms. It has the same mods though. Greg...
 #134723  by Jon S.

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:I love the sound of RCA 7025's or 12AX7's. There's something real nice about the top-top end, not so glassy, works well with a treble-on-10 kind of approach. ...

B
Just finished experimenting with V1 in my SMS. Did it together with my tech, Pete Cage (two sets of ears are better than one sometimes). http://www.audiocage.com/

Before we even opened up the SMS, Pete said, "This is a TR circuit, right? Then I'd say there's nothing better in a TR preamp than RCAs. Did you bring any with you?"

Turns out I did, but after some experimentation, a Raytheon 5751 won the day. Easy to make up the gain difference at the SMS's front gain knob. The tube is like the voice of angels in my SMS. I could not be more pleased now with its tone! It's still got all of the stock tube's treble (if not more) but with no icepick and the mids are so much more pleasing and present (indeed, I was running the preamp previously with the mid control dimed; with the Raytheon, I've backed it down to half).

I'd advise everyone with an SMS to at least try some alternate preamp tubes in your preamp's V1 (even if "I'm perfectly happy with the sound as is"). Takes little time, it's easy to remove the SMS cover to access the tube sockets (just remember to also unscrew the front panel screw), and is an interesting experience regardless of how you ultimately come out.

Just my 2 cents. :)
 #134733  by Smolder

Thanks Jon... very interesting.

Knowing it was a 763 pre, and that I did not plan to move it (not my gigging rig) I immediately put long black plate RCA's in both spots. Tube rolling never really occurred to me, and certainly not a 5751. I run mine at half on the MC50, full output volume, and about 9-10 o'clock on the gain. Treble is near max, mid about 1:00 and bass nearly off... all into a K130 in a pine cab. You have me re-thinking...