#125094  by mkaufman

I really like the Adamas pick, however, as a Bobby player, I'm wondering if there's a similar pick which may be less bright. I'm finding that as I sweep, sometimes the higher strings can sound too bright.

I need brightness to give me that glassy Weir sound, but not too much on the high end.

tnx,
mk
 #125128  by Sparechaynge

Can you lower the pole pieces on the treble side of you pickup(s)? I play lots of Bob-style stuff with my Telefunken (close enough) and ran into the same thing. I adjusted the pickup on my Esquire and it sounds fine now.

If you can't/won't or it just doesn't suit you, perhaps try a Gator Grip, Stubby, or Tortex pick. They are *similar* to the Adamas, but certainly way less bright.
 #125130  by Sparechaynge

Although, for 100% accuracy maybe you WANT it to be crazy bright.... :D :roll:
 #125162  by Sparechaynge

Ha, yeah I kind of figured. Definitely try lowering the poles first since it won't cost you any money. I have been using a Jazz III XL for a while for Bobby stuff, it's easier to hold due to it's slightly larger size (in between that of a regular Jazz and a traditional Fender pick) and has better definition than the nylon Jazz varieties. YMMV
 #125169  by gmchart

You could still try the pick-up mounting screws. Tilt the whole pup away from the strings a bit on the treble side. Just did this this week on my guitar. When I've got the compression set where I think I want it, hitting the high strings was a little too harsh. Helped a bit we'll see.