#124464  by Stella Bloo

Sorry if this is too basic of a question but I'll ask anyway. I currently use the Rocktron 300, love it but everyone is so crazy about the Mac's. I don't need alot of power as I play in a home studio (I don't gig live) and play into a 2X12 JBL K-110's. Here is my question, fortunatley I have the money and am considering buying or trying to buy an MC50. I assume this is perfect for what I am doing. My question is that all the MC 50's I see on ebay have RCA inputs. I live in a small town and don't have people who can change these over to 1/4' guitar jacks. Also would need to change out the speaker wiring configuration in the back to handle a 1"4 inch speaker cable. As you can tell, I am quite elecrically challenged. If I bought one of these, what the hell would I do to get it playable?

Thanks everyone, this sight is great but has cost me a ton!!
 #124465  by Bobbyg

You don't need to change the RCA input on the Mac.....just get a cable with RCA on one end and 1/4" on the other. Someone else can probably help you with modifying the speaker. I still do it the old fashioned way.....just wiring my speakers directly to the Mac with speaker wire.
 #124485  by Jon S.

I'm having my MC50 serviced and upgraded right now by Pat Hickman at http://classictubeaudio.com/ He was recommended to me by another RUKINDer (mgbills) who was happy with his work on his McIntosh. The work for me includes switching over to a 1/4" input jack and two 1/4" output jacks (4 and 8 ohms). I know going with RCA jacks and adaptors is a practical option, too, but I prefer the simplicity of using the same cords, sans adaptors, for my MC50 as for all my other gear.
 #124490  by Stella Bloo

Thanks,

Looks like a good option to send it in and have it done. Think the MC 50 is that much better than the Rocktron V300?
 #124493  by Jon S.

Stella Bloo wrote:Think the MC 50 is that much better than the Rocktron V300?
I wouldn't know. I haven't used the MC50 yet! I got it from the guy I bought it off of on eBay and shipped it right out for servicing. I'll compare the two when I get it back. This being said, sometimes, I think I should have my head examined for my gear purchases. I really am quite satisfied with my current SMS - RV300 rig. It sounds awesome. But I always wanted to have a Mc-based rig, too, so the one I've assembled now will be FYD - MC50. Also, I'm running the SMS - RV300 into an SSP 2X12 w/a Weber NeoMag and a Jensen Neo 12-100. The FYD - MC50 will run into an Avatar Cube 1X12 w/a JBL E120. I supposed it's not too horrible to have invested in a backup (I'm planning on selling one of my other amps, more to clear out the music room some than needing the money).
 #124494  by Stella Bloo

Yes, it is quite interesting how much I am spending and tinkering on all of this stuff. I am satisfied with the Rocktron, just hear so much about the Mac's that I figured I'd piss away some more money. What's another vice! My wife is starting to wonder what the hell is going on in my home studio though....quite alot of guitars and equipment building up here!

Thanks for you help! Let me know how you like it.
 #124747  by gr8fl4295

I have a MC 50 question as well....
I got mine back a couple weeks ago, everything checked out fine/up to spec.
I bought a H&K Blues Master off eBay to try one out. (currently have an SMS on order)
Here's my setup:
Guitar>H&K>MC50 (via 1/4" to RCA)>JBL E110 (Hosa Mono 1/4" (Female) - 2 RCA (Male) Y Cable (RCA ends cut off to hook up wires to MC 50)

Here's my question, I hardly have any sound, WTF?
I'm connecting the MC50 to the "Tube Amp" port on the back of the H&K. The "Tube Amp" volume knob on the back of the H&K is all the way up. The "Master" knob on the front of the H&K is all the way up. When I turn the Gain up on the H&K, all I get is distortion. When I turn the Gain up on the MC 50, all I get is distortion.
Seems like the signal from the guitar and preamp is not being amplified through the MC 50. What am I doing wrong?

Here's the y cable i'm using: http://www.showmecables.com/product/1-4 ... -Plug.aspx
I just cut the ends off and screw them on the MC50.
 #124748  by ccw3432

gr8fl4295 wrote:I have a MC 50 question as well....
I bought a H&K Blues Master off eBay to try one out. (currently have an SMS on order)
Here's my setup:
Guitar>H&K>MC50 (via 1/4" to RCA)>JBL E110 (Hosa Mono 1/4" (Female) - 2 RCA (Male) Y Cable (RCA ends cut off to hook up wires to MC 50)

I'm connecting the MC50 to the "Tube Amp" port on the back of the H&K. The "Tube Amp" volume knob on the back of the H&K is all the way up. The "Master" knob on the front of the H&K is all the way up. When I turn the Gain up on the H&K, all I get is distortion. When I turn the Gain up on the MC 50, all I get is distortion.
Seems like the signal from the guitar and preamp is not being amplified through the MC 50. What am I doing wrong?

Here's the y cable i'm using: http://www.showmecables.com/product/1-4 ... -Plug.aspx
I've never used a Blues Master so I can't comment on that. I would try to isolate everything in your chain starting with your guitar. If your guitar uses a battery make sure it's good, test your guitar through another amp. Plug an ipod or CD player directly into your MC50. You should get sound. It won't be super loud because of the low ouptut from a MP3 or CD player but you should be able to hear it clearly with and at a moderate volume. This will help diagnose if the MC50 is the source of the problem. When I first got my MC250 I tested it like this. It wasn't super loud, but when I put an SMS in front of it, it totally came to life. I wonder about the output of the preamp you are using. Have you tested the preamp with any other power amp? Make sure all your cables are good. I've had several issues where what I thought the problem was one thing initially but it ended up being something esle. Good luck.
 #124749  by ccw3432

ccw3432 wrote:
gr8fl4295 wrote:I have a MC 50 question as well....
Here's my setup:

I've never used a Blues Master so I can't comment on that. I would try to isolate everything in your chain starting with your guitar. If your guitar uses a battery make sure it's good, test your guitar through another amp. Plug an ipod or CD player directly into your MC50. You should get sound. It won't be super loud because of the low ouptut from a MP3 or CD player but you should be able to hear it clearly with and at a moderate volume. This will help diagnose if the MC50 is the source of the problem. When I first got my MC250 I tested it like this. It wasn't super loud, but when I put an SMS in front of it, it totally came to life. I wonder about the output of the preamp you are using. Have you tested the preamp with any other power amp? Make sure all your cables are good. I've had several issues where what I thought the problem was one thing initially but it ended up being something esle. Good luck.
Hey, I just looked at that link you provided for the cable you are using to hook your speaker to the MC50. It is a stereo 1/4" TRS jack. If you are running a standard 1/4" TS Mono speaker cable then we've found the problem. You'll need to get that steroe adapter out of there. You could just wire the speakers up directly to the Mac and give that a try to get you going.
 #124752  by brbadg

Try plugging into the cabinetulator option.Keep your volume down before you do it!
I have a bluesmaster and all I do is go from the cabinetulator to my power amp input.Plenty of volume!
 #124788  by gr8fl4295

Sure enuff, I wired the speaker directly to the MC50 with plain ol' speaker wire and it worked!
Glorious sounds! Magnificent tones!
THanks all.
 #124792  by ccw3432

gr8fl4295 wrote:Sure enuff, I wired the speaker directly to the MC50 with plain ol' speaker wire and it worked!
Glorious sounds! Magnificent tones!
THanks all.
Awwwwwwe Yaaaaaa. The Mac goodness. :cool: