#121013  by 1960strat

Just an observation from the 3 Phil and Friends Shows i caught over the past week:

1) JK's tone is pretty good even though it is a bit dirty. I noticed that he is using what looks like Alembic pups in S-H-h config. I knew they put those pups in the tribute guitar but his sould pretty good.

2) His guitar must have a piezo pup in it. When they covered Wish You Were Here, he played the intro and it was pretty solid acoustic sound.

Your thoughts oh kind board?
 #121016  by Chuckles

Stock Alembic pups - John's comment was he had plenty of DiMarzio setups and could always switch them out if he wanted.

The acoustic sound is the synth, afaik.
 #121022  by jenkins

Was that the ax he was using on the last furthur tour?

He is using the Roland synth for the acoustic tone.
So I would think that it's pretty likely that's how jerry got that acoustic too.

JK's acoustic tone is actually really cool, he was busting it out the last time I saw furthur and I thought it was really cool.
To me it sounded like what jerry was shooting for but didn't quite achieve before the end.

I often wonder if the GD took a break in 94 like they were supposed to & Jerry got healthy instead of dying if he would've went to an alembic, or if his guitar would be set up similar.
It seems like at the end he was going for a really clean tone, which is what the alembics are like. To me it looks like the new alembics are set up the way that jerry's tone was headed, but that's pure speculation.

Did I read somewhere that they were actually Starting to work on a project for Garcia when he died.
I definitely read that somewhere, the question is whether it is true or was just someone talking out their ass, whih seems to happen every now and again.
 #121026  by jalevinemd

I've got two Alembics. With both pickups on and in the 'bright' position and the filters turned all the way up, I can get a dead on acoustic sound. No synth. No piezo. They're amazing !
 #121070  by 1960strat

Thats funny because it was exactly the opposite at the Wellmont and Roseland shows i saw. At roseland Jackie was very low and thin in the mix. I actually went and stood right next to the soundboard operator to make sure it wasnt my ears and it was the same thing. Stanely Jordan was non-existent as sell which i think was a good thing, He was pretty lost most of the time.
 #121075  by mkaufman

Jackie's LP & SG were thick and very present. His Tele was on and off. It's really weird: is the inconsistency the fault of the person mixing sound? I stood by the board too and observed that the mixer was wearing headphones as if he wasn't listening to what everyone else was hearing.

btw... JK had two speakers behind him, however, I could see no amp. He was not using his 2x12 speaker cab.

mk
 #121096  by Mosfed

jalevinemd wrote:I've got two Alembics. With both pickups on and in the 'bright' position and the filters turned all the way up, I can get a dead on acoustic sound. No synth. No piezo. They're amazing !
Lucky man!