#121490  by zambiland

JonnyBoy wrote:Thought this would be pretty cool too as a backup maybe. What is Class T? They seem to have good parts for the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDEED-CLASS-T- ... 43b5bd6835

Cool little amps, but it would barely be a practice amp at 14wpc into 8 ohms. It's probably a design you don't want to hear much clipping out of. For a desktop or ultra-efficient hifi, I bet it sounds wonderful.
 #121491  by zambiland

gpilcher2001 wrote:Has anyone tried the groove tubes D75?
A friend of mine had one. I thought it sounded wonderful.
 #121492  by mijknahs

zambiland wrote:
gpilcher2001 wrote:Has anyone tried the groove tubes D75?
A friend of mine had one. I thought it sounded wonderful.
Never heard one but it seems like it would be a great amp. Too bad they didn't make a one channel mono version. One of those with Brad's amp is pretty much a Fender Dual Showman.
 #121494  by gpilcher2001

I'm pretty sure I was a lucky man and got the last one made. I had to pull teeth to get it out of them. It's pretty cool with the tube selection. It is a beast and requires a 6 u rack to haul it around. The two channels is cool but it's not really practicle for small clubs unless you have a roady. I go back and forth though. I'm at the point of trying it out again. Sounds real good but I only use one side of it. Thinking about trying the kt88's in it this time. The 40 watt section in my jerry spec super reverb head isn't quite cutting it. Greg...
 #121495  by mijknahs

gpilcher2001 wrote:I'm pretty sure I was a lucky man and got the last one made. I had to pull teeth to get it out of them. It's pretty cool with the tube selection. It is a beast and requires a 6 u rack to haul it around. The two channels is cool but it's not really practicle for small clubs unless you have a roady. I go back and forth though. I'm at the point of trying it out again. Sounds real good but I only use one side of it. Thinking about trying the kt88's in it this time. The 40 watt section in my jerry spec super reverb head isn't quite cutting it. Greg...
Yes! Give the KT88s a try if he amp is made for them. Those tubes sound big with a great low end.
 #121504  by gpilcher2001

mijknahs wrote:
gpilcher2001 wrote:I'm pretty sure I was a lucky man and got the last one made. I had to pull teeth to get it out of them. It's pretty cool with the tube selection. It is a beast and requires a 6 u rack to haul it around. The two channels is cool but it's not really practicle for small clubs unless you have a roady. I go back and forth though. I'm at the point of trying it out again. Sounds real good but I only use one side of it. Thinking about trying the kt88's in it this time. The 40 watt section in my jerry spec super reverb head isn't quite cutting it. Greg...
Yes! Give the KT88s a try if he amp is made for them. Those tubes sound big with a great low end.
You think so? The amp is made to handle the kt88 along with 6550. My struggle with tube amps is the sweet spot. A twin reverb was just to much. I couldn't get it where I wanted it. It was just too loud. I've taken a weber super reverb kit and modded it to jerry spec. Right now I'm using the internal power amp. Definitely runs out of headroom when my band starts cranking or is that drinking! Anyways the d 75 is rated at 75 watts with kt88/6550 in it. I guess gobs of headroom is what a lot of us are after anyway. Maybe this weekend I'll get a set of kt88's drop them in and report back. Greg....
 #121510  by mijknahs

gpilcher2001 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
You think so? The amp is made to handle the kt88 along with 6550. My struggle with tube amps is the sweet spot. A twin reverb was just to much. I couldn't get it where I wanted it. It was just too loud. I've taken a weber super reverb kit and modded it to jerry spec. Right now I'm using the internal power amp. Definitely runs out of headroom when my band starts cranking or is that drinking! Anyways the d 75 is rated at 75 watts with kt88/6550 in it. I guess gobs of headroom is what a lot of us are after anyway. Maybe this weekend I'll get a set of kt88's drop them in and report back. Greg....
My Twin Reverb is kinda too loud when I'm using a guitar that doesn't have a buffer in it and I have to play with the guitar volume all the way up. When I use my Jerry guitar with the buffer, I only use the volume about half way up. Then I can turn up the amp and adjust the volume from my guitar.
 #133001  by boater1941

A power amp should have one knob. Volume!!! Also one switch bridge or stereo and definitely SS. We all wish they were like Mc's. I built the jfet version of the ab763 preamp and did the jerry mod's to it. I think the diagram came from circuitsdotcom. One word to describe it compared the the all tube pre from Brad= blah even with bright switch on.
When it comes to amplification and solid state vs. tube. Solid state has far more pros than cons than an all tube amp. The only con I can think off is that SS amplification doesn't like low ohms except a few like Mc.
I have built a personal twin64-67 preamp with a rebuild kit from fleabay and it runs on 18v. I use it mainly for judging tubes and don't like taking my Sarno or FYD apart for experiments.
Jerry knew what he was doin with late night experimental buddies. SS is super clean when cranked. Mc2300 I'm talkin about. There's a few other models with exact same jer specs as the 2300 just at lower wattages. Tubes when blasted way up there for amplification definately overdrive,pickup interference,etc. Look at the MC2300 or the 2100 and those huge filter caps. Wonder what size Jer ended up getting in there??????47k just a guess.
I do have a rocktron v300 which I like and is bridgeable with a switch. Still they have a reactance and a definition knob. Why not just have one and leave the signal from the sarno alone. I can see why some here like the v300. The definition knob adds more headroom and some sparkle to the overall tone. Why not leave it alone. I like Brad's JG tone as it is when it leaves the pre. Also the v300 shows the lowest ohm hookup in the manual and its only 4ohms,in brackets it says not recommended. Gimmee a break.
I'd still take the v300 over the cleanest tube amp (not pre) there is.
 #133010  by Searing75

4 pound Carvin DCM200L, bridged at 200w into 1 JBL K120 rules........................after major back surgery!! But really, it sounds great!
 #133529  by boater1941

I'm currently selling one of my mint 2300's and putting the cleanest version on a pedestal. I'm getting some custom work to a pair of rocktron v 300's. Adding an output filter cap junction box and following signal chain to exclude as much tone altering stuff along the way. No reactance/definition/normalizers/keepin a clean as pie 300 watt per side SS amp to boot. If all goes to plan I should have A wolph frpm phred with identical midi cpu and pup/dimarzes/tpc-1 the works. I figured that black midi triangle suits the 89 era as much as I recall on the the back of the wolph. If I sell my HOG then a multi layered custom doggy eared threw neck will replace.
 #133543  by Jon S.

After several years with a RV300 (which I liked fine for its sound but not the weight it added to the rack it was in), I finally bought myself an MC50 as my primary amp and a 4 lb. DCM200L as my backup and never looked back. The MC50, in particular, is awesome. It's only around 20 lbs. (not in a rack - it sits on top of my rack, now by itself, in about a week, in its custom Brady head case), is tough as nails, and sounds great. I took my time, bought one in fine external condition, spent as much as the amp again on updating and mods (power switch; IEC power cord connector; 1/4" in; 4 and 8 ohm 1/4" outs), and even then, my total cost was under $800 for an amp I'll enjoy for the rest of my natural life. I admit I wasn't always of this persuasion but I am now: with vintage McI's remaining so affordable, if you truly want Jerry tone, why settle for anything else?
 #133549  by tigerstrat

One man's affordable is another's "you want how much?!"

I don't get why you would make such an effort to remove features from an amp when you could simply get one that doesn't have them.
 #133552  by Jon S.

Confused - who are you speaking to now, tigerstrat? My mods to my MC50 didn't actually "remove" anything except the old 2 prong cord but maybe you meant the guy before me. But on the affordable comment, for sure, one man gathers what another man spills/YMMV/horses for courses/however you want to phrase it, but $800 is $2.19 a day for year and then it's yours forever. I hope I'm not being presumptuous in assuming most of us could afford this.
Last edited by Jon S. on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #133553  by James-T

I've got a BWG 250b, that a friend here in town bought new in the 70's. I got it in a trade for a nano reverb and 100 bucks. Its almost as loud as my K12 full range monitor and I'm still experimenting with it as a power option for my FX Ultra, pushing my 2 JBL's. It definitely turns my Ultra in a "real amp" in terms of feel and sound. The K12 sounds more hifi and less like an amp - its sounds "right there" if that makes any sense and the power amp cab sounds...well it sounds like my 73 fender twin.

I'd love to hear it with a SMS Classic. I'm lusting after the SMS now that I've discovered Brad's website and started reading about his products. That would be the ultimate back-up to the Ultra.

Little written about these things because they are so ancient - so if anybody has any info good or bad I'd love to hear.

Talking about simplicity. No knobs! Just an on/off switch. Its heavy, but still a 2RU so its easy to move around.

Image From the net....

100 Watts per channel at 4 ohms. 39lbs. manufactured in LA from 1975- 1980.

Peace,

James
 #133554  by tigerstrat

Jon S. wrote:Confused - who are you speaking to now, tigerstrat? My mods to my MC50 didn't actually "remove" anything except the old 2 prong cord but maybe you meant the guy before me. But on the affordable comment, for sure, one man gathers what another man spills/YMMV/horses for courses/however you want to phrase it, but $800 is $2.19 a day for year and then it's yours forever. I hope I'm not being presumptuous in assuming most of us could afford this.
Sorry, affordable remark was to you, but the mods part was to boater. I should have quoted what I was responding to:
I'm getting some custom work to a pair of rocktron v 300's. Adding an output filter cap junction box and following signal chain to exclude as much tone altering stuff along the way. No reactance/definition/normalizers/keepin a clean as pie 300 watt per side SS amp to boot.

Not sure if the last sentence was supposed to be two- it kinda seems like "keepin a clean as pie 300 watt per side SS amp to boot." was referring to the 2300 being kept?