#119773  by Tony6Strings

What exactly is a Strat-O-Blaster? Is it a clean boost, a buffer, or a preamp? IE how different is it from, lets say, a MXR Micro Amp? Lets say I wanna give it a spin... Is the Alembic model currently in production the same circuit that Jerry had in his strat in the early 70's?
 #119775  by JonnyBoy

Tony, I think Waldo has a schematic for one on his site, I am under the impression it is a simple gain step up circuit close to 6db or so. I am sure the right components help too, GGG has a DIY kit also that can fit in a cavity. But It is a booster, basically. An LPB1 would be similar too. I really dont know what the blaster circuit is schematic wise, or if any other booster is comparable tone wise. I was told an LPB1 booster would do about the same thing in general. I had trouble with it being too glassy tho.
 #119850  by Mosfed

My understanding is that it's simply a boost. But in my experience it definitely adds grit. You can totally find the circuit online and build one for $40 with all the best possible components.
 #119863  by PaulJay

I use an MXR Microamp as a clean boost. Would that be the same thing as a stratoblaster in a box?
 #119879  by Tony6Strings

hippieguy1954 wrote:Don't forget blocking the tremelo!
That's been a must for me for years now, as a strat guy. To me, a floating trem seems like a gimmick as opposed to a real musical thing, with the exception of maybe Jeff Beck or Hendrix. Some of my fellow Strat people don't understand, just like I don't understand wanting to set up a guitar so it won't stay in tune, etc...

:D :D :D