#119398  by Tony6Strings

I seem to recall some posts about Jerry style players using the Fulltone OCD. I love mine, I've been through many dirt boxes and this one is definitely one of the best. It's stayed on my board whereas others have come and gone. Just curious, how are you guys using your OCD for Jerry type sounds? Tone on mine usually sits at around 1 to 2 oclock. If found that the LP toggle setting gives me the sounds that I find most enjoyable... But, this setting doesn't cut through very well in a live band situation, unless I can crank my Twin up loud enough, 6 or so. It's so transparent and lacking mids that it gets buried in the mix. This is where the HP toggle mode really shines. Just cuts through like no other, although the dirt is a little harsher, more like a Marshall/Boogie type of thing as opposed to a cranked Fender. Anyways. Low gain settings on this thing I've found really do a good job of the "clean yet distorted" phenomena that has been being discussed here as of late. Mid to higher gain settings are awesome also, does a great job with that high gain (almost fuzz like) Jerry Dist+ type tone, especially with a cranked amp. Another thing I love about this pedal is how well it cleans up with the guitars volume knob, irrelevant to you OBEL users, but it's very amp like in that respect. How bout you? What settings do you like with yours? A thread for all things OCD...

:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #119402  by jackr

I use mine with the tone at 12:00 and the drive at 11:00 on HP. Then when I need more gain i dont usually turn the drive up, i use boss bd-2 blues driver after the ocd pedal. 2 ocd pedals would be even better but i had the bd-2 and didnt want to buy a second ocd.
 #119417  by NorthboundRain

I got my first OCD in 2006 and it's never left my pedalboard. I currently chain 2 of them the way some people use TS-9's and am thinking about adding a 3rd. I generally set the volume and tone to be neutral and then dial the drive to where I want it. All the way to the left for just a little extra oomph through a clean preamp seems to remind me of Jerry's 1970 tone (think Dick's Picks 8 ). Dialing up from there I usually start around 9 o'clock for a bluesy solo and take it up to around 3 o'clock for some saturated sustain during Slipknot! Anything beyond that would be for feedback.

Fulltone makes great stuff all the way around. I also use a Full Drive II sometimes which has a lot of great tones the best of which add some nice compression, not very Jerry but great for Santana-esque sustain. The '70 Fuzz is gypsy era Hendrix in a box. The Fulltone Wah is my 2nd favorite of all time (after the original Budda Bud-Wah) and is what I use when I "play dead".
 #119482  by Tony6Strings

+1 on the Fulldrive 2! It's the other dirt pedal that hasn't left my board. It's got all the things I like about the Tubescreamer, and seems to have corrected all the things I don't (IE I can dial out the muddiness and the mid hump, make it more transparent if I so choose). I can get great early 70's Jerry tone with it on CompCut toggle mode when my Twin is cranked. Plus, I've found the FD2 and the OCD stack very nicely together.

Have wanted to try the FT Clyde Deluxe for a while now. But, gonna have to make do with my Crybaby for the time being, have sank all my walking around funds into a Tele build.

I've often thought about adding another OCD to my board. I saw a picture of a pedalboard on one of the forums, dude had two Fulldrive 2's and two OCD's. At first I thought it was outlandish, but after playing around with each pedal, I realized that you could easily justify two of each, if not more...

:D :D :D
 #119484  by Jon S.

Can someone who's compared an OCD to a Rat compare and contrast the two? (On my Line 6 M13, of all the many overdrive and distortion models, the one I've found is tops for Jerry tones is the Rat model with the drive near zero and the volume way up.)