Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#117068  by Tony6Strings
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:53 am
$590 is a decent price for an early SF Twin, even with stock speakers. Cosmetically it's in rough shape, so offer him $500 and go from there. It's not a crazy insane great deal of the century like the previous one, but it'll get you that tone for sure. Throw some Commonweatlth in there and call it a day!
 #117101  by Mosfed
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:38 pm
The one with the JBLs was a gem. You probably won't find another one at that price.

The mid-70s one is a good price, but you should be able to find one like it. Then look on ebay as there are some decently priced K-120s up right now. It will take a couple of extra hundies but you'll make it...
 #117102  by mgbills
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm
Just heaving it out there...Do you need a Twin?
I scored a '68 Deluxe with a D120. It was $600, but with the customary's freakin' awesome.

My only point is that there are early SF amps out there, that are more horsepower appropriate for most of us. I intend to put the chassis in a custom head, and add the preamp taps at that time. The D will go in a 1x cab. With NOS tubes...I like it as much as my SMS>Mc rig...for different reasons. Chewier. Bratier. Early Jerry-er.
Lighter! What a friend we have in CL.

#117109  by Mosfed
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:57 pm
Not to mention the Pro-Reverb. In general they seem to go for less than the venerable Twins. And I have to agree with you that they are more appropriate for most of us.

I went down this road recently and decided on a Bandmaster Reverb '71 head (with the customary mods back to Blackface and jerrified) and a 2 x JBL D-120 cab. In the end I spent less than I would have on a modded Twin.