#114387  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I got to play around with Kimock's black/ebony Cripe guitar last week. Wow that thing is frickin heavy. Great sounding, very sweet-toned guitar. Quite an axe.

B
 #114391  by bluemule

That is awesome. I'm a big fan of Kimock and always find myself on the cripe website reading K's interview about that guitar and the teak. I've been playing with some CAD of a wolf hybrid and hope to do an eagle next. There are some seriously wicked lines in Cripe's guitars. I'm really drawn to his design elements/aesthetics. Please provide any more details if you can!
 #114402  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Kimock's Cripe is crazy cool. Just obscenely heavy. Gotta be every bit of 12 pounds. All ebony and maple. Even acoustically, it's surprisingly toneful. Some heavy dense-wood guitars are kind of dead and lifeless with no resonance. This one, for some reason just sounds real cool and harmonically rich. Steve has 3 humbuckers installed. The neck is a Lollar low-wind Imperial. The middle and bridge are Lollar El Rayo's. He has a strat selector switch, but also a secondary volume control and polarity flip switch for the middle pickup, I think. It allows him a couple of "out of phase" settings where all the bass goes away and the result is a very clear and juicy and thin tone. I think the secondary volume control allows him to blend in the middle pickup, but I'm not 100% on that. What I do know is that the guitar makes a huge variety of tones and he got a LOT of use out of the phase cancelled tones. They were so sweet and musical and funky. It's a very playable, fun, and comfortable guitar, other than the weight.

Brad