#113506  by NSP

eric wrote: The SMcintosh.. ( pronounced Smack-intosh)

Jk jk jk ...still totally digging my SMS , thanks again for that fine piece of gear!
Good one Eric....

Yeah, totally loving my SMS as well. Now someone buy my DBX Driverack I have listed over in garage sale so I can pick up an Earth Drive :smile:
 #113514  by tigerstrat

Brad, please invent a light saber so we can cut through all the BS!
 #113515  by mgbills

Hey Now! Some of us are professional BS'erz!
What you got against BS!

I'm way too serious about not being too serious, to take this serious affront lightly!
Peace :-)
M
 #113516  by mgbills

Hey Brad...put me on the list for the Lightsaber. Been on my gear list since 1977...hmmmm...May 1977.

Coincidence? I don't think so.... :-)
 #113542  by JonnyBoy

Smolder wrote:Been reading here for a while, and I'm trying to match what I read, with what I hear and do. I'm struggling with the 'just too damn loud' factor with fender twins. I'm basically running at half power with just two power tubes... And in practice this is set to a volume of 3-4, and live maybe getting to 6. And that's all without mic'ing the amps. Obviously I'm not playing stadiums, but 100-200 person rooms (normally concrete with a high ceiling).

What I'm wondering is how you guys are managing with these huge Mac amps? I was thinking about grabbing a mc-50, but read where many see them as too small. Is there a disconnect between the watt rating of macs and twins? What am I missing here?
I have been using my HRD III power section with my SMS as the preamp with awesome results. Although the tube amp sounds significantly different than a MAC, I still have good tone from it. Thank god there is a rear pad pot on the SMS to get the right amount of tube slamming. That really helps. A 100-200 person room and smaller is where I would take my 2- 6l6 power amp of the HRD. The tube sound is better in a cement box with people are 10 feet from my amp. Outdoors is where my MC 100 and 2x12 sings. At smaller places, it really doesn't do it justice to under power 2 JBL's and a 140 watt macintosh, I don't get the tone I want from it at low volumes. But that could be that it needs some component upgrades. The MC50 is great for lower volume gigs for sure, even up to some louder gigs. But at louder gigs you may reach the headroom cutoff and get unwanted distortion if you aren't micing, especially outdoors. The macs clipping is nice in moderation, too much it sounds shitty/frizzy.

Our band moved to the presonus board recently for recording which allows us to keep our stage volume low and use the mains/monitors for sound reinforcement, rather than cranking amps that aren't mic'd to keep up. I highly recommend switching to mic'ing in med/large rooms while keeping the stage volume low. Its more to set up and deal with, but a much more manageable sound for all. Plus we can keep the band from drowning out the vocals easier.

So, yes it is very possible to work only with an MC50 and call it done. Our rhythm guitarist uses an AC15 and mics it. That is only 15 watts and has never played a stage, even some big outdoor ones, that it didn't work well.
 #115736  by Jerry1996x

Ok, Im lost. I have a Twin and an MC120. I have the twin at about 5, and the mac around noon, for practice. I see the peek limit lights going on in the middle of a solo thats high up the neck a lot. I dont feel like im playing that loud though. Maybe ive always played to loud, and have just gotten used to it. Hmmmmmm :roll:
 #115737  by mijknahs

The peak lights don't mean you're playing loud. It just means it's clipping. But then again a Twin at 5 and the MC2120 at noon is going to be pretty loud depending on where your guitar volume is at.
 #115756  by JonnyBoy

Jerry1996x wrote:Ok, Im lost. I have a Twin and an MC120. I have the twin at about 5, and the mac around noon, for practice. I see the peek limit lights going on in the middle of a solo thats high up the neck a lot. I dont feel like im playing that loud though. Maybe ive always played to loud, and have just gotten used to it. Hmmmmmm :roll:

It may be that the MAC needs some cap replacements/tune up to get the output at full throttle again. Either way you should be loud as hell with everything at noon through a 2x12. I am too loud with my MC100 past 9'oclock. I remember when Brad had redone Tracy's 250 and he seemed to imply it was much louder after the recap. The clipping light can be from the signal level coming from the twin. Maybe turn down the Twin a slight notch. I think some mac clipping is good tho....

No matter how our band turns it, we play and sound better when volume is under control and set properly. What that means to anyone else is variable, but for us it means vocals should be out front and clear (FOH) and heard on stage well (through monitors). If instruments are hindering that in any way then they are too loud. If your mains can only get so loud with vocals, then the amps should compensate to find their place in the mix. To make it all more confusing all instruments get louder and lower through out the song depending on dynamics (solos, singing, etc..). Thank God for volume knobs!!
 #115833  by Mosfed

Smolder wrote:Been reading here for a while, and I'm trying to match what I read, with what I hear and do. I'm struggling with the 'just too damn loud' factor with fender twins. I'm basically running at half power with just two power tubes... And in practice this is set to a volume of 3-4, and live maybe getting to 6. And that's all without mic'ing the amps. Obviously I'm not playing stadiums, but 100-200 person rooms (normally concrete with a high ceiling).

What I'm wondering is how you guys are managing with these huge Mac amps? I was thinking about grabbing a mc-50, but read where many see them as too small. Is there a disconnect between the watt rating of macs and twins? What am I missing here?
I have had this issue as well. And its part of the reason I am looking for a Pro or even a Deluxe.

With that said 50 tube watts is in no way equal to 50 solid state watts. Tubes will sound much louder for various reasons. The one that makes the most sense o me is that when tubes begin to distort it actually sounds pretty good. When FETs tend to go you cringe. There are more technical reasons of course...
 #115842  by Jon S.

Folks with an SMS Classic Preamp who are seeking a tad more overdriven "grit" to your sound might want to experiment with upping the levels of the rear trim pot, front gain control, or both. No, it's not "the same" as turning up the volume on a no master volume tube amp but try it and trust your ears. If you fail, you wasted 15 minutes experimenting. If it works, problem solved w/what you already have.
 #115848  by jeffm725

tigerstrat wrote:Brad, please invent a light saber so we can cut through all the BS!
I believe you missed Brad's light Saber offering. As usual he has roots in classic design with an eye toward improvement. I mean, REALLY Brad, a double sided light Saber?!!

#115849  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:Brad, please invent a light saber so we can cut through all the BS!
I believe you missed Brad's light Saber offering. As usual he has roots in classic design with an eye toward improvement. I mean, REALLY Brad, a double sided light Saber?!!

I'm not sure about Sarno's being a Sith type. Wouldn't it put tone a bit on the "dark side"

PS - Mace Windu's is the purple one.