#110138  by mijknahs

At our last Rum Runners gig (JGB tribute) my Fender Pro Reverb (preamp) wasn't working (turned out to be a bad/old power cord). I thought I was done for but I ended up plugging my guitar into my keyboardist's Mackie mixed and then out to my McIntosh MC100 and into my JBLs.

I basically had to play the whole time with my distortion pedal (set to very low gain) and my analog delay (to get it to sound as close as I could to "reverb"). Effects loop "ON" the whole time. The Mackie was very muddy sounding. Hardly any treble and the EQ didn't do anything but it gave me the boost I needed for my McIntosh (thinking back I probaby could have gone direct to the McIntosh and just boosted the distortion level). It was an interesting challenge to say the least.

Anyway, the gig continuted and it didn't sound great but it "worked". We actually played a pretty good show and had fun. I fixed the cord that night after the gig. Works fine now.
 #110149  by Grant

That's a shame Jim, it's tough playing when your tone's not quite there.

At least the pro reverb's ok - could have been disastrous!

Hope you and your fam are well mate
 #110152  by SarnoMusicSolutions

One tool that people find to be a life saver of a backup emergency tool is the discontinued Crate Power Block. It's got a preamp that can overdrive, a good amount of class D power, and it's pretty compact. Doesn't sound great, but it'll surprise you how adequate it can be in a pinch. You can find them used for around $100. Highly recommended as something to leave in the car or the gig van, just for those emergencies.

Brad
 #110153  by strumminsix

Yikes! Sorry to read!
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:One tool that people find to be a life saver of a backup emergency tool is the discontinued Crate Power Block. It's got a preamp that can overdrive, a good amount of class D power, and it's pretty compact. Doesn't sound great, but it'll surprise you how adequate it can be in a pinch. You can find them used for around $100. Highly recommended as something to leave in the car or the gig van, just for those emergencies.
Very much agree. I've had to use mine, and have lent it out twice at gigs! I actually think it sounds good. Not great, but good. Put this in a case with a POD unit and a DI with an old mic and cables and power cables and you are set!!
 #110207  by jeager

I have an old TECH 21 Sans Amp I am thinking I should steal back from my teenage son and start carrying just in case. I actually used to run direct to PA with this thing as the electric guitarist in a primarily acoustic band and it was ok at the time... or i thought it was anyway.
 #110351  by petcat

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote: One tool that people find to be a life saver of a backup emergency tool is the discontinued Crate Power Block........ You can find them used for around $100. Highly recommended as something to leave in the car or the gig van, just for those emergencies.
I picked one up tonight, and at that price, because they come so highly regarded. Thanks Team. Now I need a gig van.
 #110508  by JonnyBoy

The power block is a life saver. It can be used as a power amp only or as a guitar amp with a preamp. So, you could actually use it in place of your mac if it fries or use it with the preamp. You could also use it as a DI or preamp for your MAC (Direct out). Pretty versatile little box. Got mine for $120, barely used since it was in a trunk of a car for 3 years as a back up for a retiring guitar player too! VERY surprised they aren't made anymore, but that goes for lots of other gear too!

I throw in a speaker cord with bare wire on one end and a 1/4 plug on the other (for mac users)....Or it wont be that helpful, unless you have 1/4" jacks on your speaker cab.
 #110512  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:You could also use it as a DI or preamp
How does the DI sound? Never thought about using that feature?!

Overall I think the preamp sounds just fine (I'd say nice solid state sorta like a Roland JC) and the power section is clean and clear... So curious if it's in that ballpark
 #110514  by JonnyBoy

Actually never tried the DI, just noticed the DI out on back... I have played around with it a bunch as a guitar amp + cab and its totally adequate as a backup. Not so much a #1 amp tho... I saw a guy power a 2xstack marshall cabs with it on youtube, it has some kick... I have used it to power a passive monitor wedge and it worked just fine there too.

I have wondered about the 44 mags EHX pedals!! Those sound like a killer backup, but only 44 SS watts may not cut it for Jim, me either. I wonder if you can stack them?
 #110515  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:
I have wondered about the 44 mags EHX pedals!! Those sound like a killer backup, but only 44 SS watts may not cut it for Jim, me either. I wonder if you can stack them?
I know I'm in the minority camp on this one... If you bring 300w of guitar power across multiple speakers to a gig I'm sure you are gonna have a nice size PA and if you have a nice size PA you are gonna have mics and monitors too. So if you have a breakdown, plug in the 44, mic her up, and get some extra, if needed, from the monitors.

44 watts is just about 2.5 to 3 DB quieter than a Twin reverb.