rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#156418  by Brandon Bowlds
 Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 pm
Here is a sb clip from a gig I did a couple months ago. It was just a trio with a backup vocalist.

This is my custom Artinger with waldo buffer equipped with a middle single coil Super Distortion (literally split in half). It's a little dirtier than the split Super IIs.
Going into '74 twin reverb with one K120 and Jerry mods. It is mostly clean on this tune, at one point I turn my Earth drive on in the loop.

lately I have been preamping my twin out to a ss power amp and it is a cleaner tone. But I dig this slightly dirtier, more compressed (sorta late 70s) tone too. I would love some feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/brandon-bowlds/n ... ay-2-20-17
 #156424  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:41 am
Nice groove. Tight with great jammin. Your Jerry tone and chops sound great. Maybe a touch more reverb?
I love jammin to that tune :smile:
 #156427  by Brandon Bowlds
 Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:48 pm
Thanks a lot guys. Helps when you have a really good rhythm section, which I did there! I really dig the tone of that guitar. I think all the components of Jerry tone add up but I think a hippie sandwich style guitar with maple body/neck and ebony fretboard is a part of the equation that sometimes gets overlooked.

I do struggle with the reverb level sometimes. It will sound wet enough to me in the room but sometimes listening back on tape, its a little dry. Guess that is what the knob is for :)
 #156430  by augustwest1
 Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:31 pm
Nice playing! My immediate thought also was more reverb.

And while we're splitting hairs, I'd also go for a tad more treble, or less bass, or maybe a little of both. I hear a sort of "muffled" quality. Still, great tone.
 #156432  by chipperj
 Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 am
Sounds great! How 'bout a pic of that guitar? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on an Artinger as well.
 #156439  by Brandon Bowlds
 Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:48 am
Here you go!

I think it sounds a little "clipped" and maybe that is the muffled tone you are hearing too. I had 2 of the power tubes pulled on the twin, so the power section may be overdriving. I have the treble on 10. in the last couple weeks I have been preamping it out to a solid state class D power amp. Its no Mac but I am liking the results so far.
Also I made the choice to use a split version of the Super Distortion (same as Dual Sound) rather than the lower output split Super II pickup. So that is something you just live with. Get a bit more drive, sacrifice a bit of top end.
 #156613  by waldo041
 Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm
Sounds Fantastic!

~waldo
 #156615  by TeeJay
 Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm
Sounds Fantastic!

~waldo
+1 hope to get up there at some point to hear it live-
 #156617  by mgbills
 Wed May 17, 2017 6:49 pm
Great playing & the harmonies are very cool!
 #156621  by MattMan
 Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am
hippieguy1954 wrote:
waldo041 wrote:Sounds Fantastic!

~waldo
+1 :cool:
Thanks all. It helped that I told the sound man to mix me flat. Having fun with this band. Its quite a trip when things get cooking and I'm hearing this killer tone and I'm like "shit, that's me!". Pretty easy to hiccup when that happens :-) :-)