#106367  by Urblues

Yeah I saw the soundscaperproductions cabs and I liked them a lot. They have a good handle idea and they come with a speaker grill.
 #106382  by jeager

I got the 2X12 SSP cab and love it though I would like to have a 1X12 for those times when I don't feel like moving the other.

I recently built a warmoth strat with the Tiger preamp in it and its a really nice guitar, best strat I have ever played really, the neck is amazing and i got a chambered body which makes the whole thing a bit lighter, more resonant. If I could build another Warmoth, it would be using their VIP body which is a carved top and I would do the whole Tiger wiring in it. The WGD has the shape but its not a carved top and has less options in terms of wood choices etc.

If I had 5000 $ burning a hole in my pocket, I would like to have Scott Walker build me something.
 #106396  by Tennessee Jedi

playingdead wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote: Image
Purloined Wawa crate!

:cool: :cool: :cool:
My new set up is up to 6 'crates now.
:-)
Low rent all the way ....
 #106411  by TI4-1009

Well, here's my $.02. The Moriaritys, Ressurections, Liebers are all beautiful, but they're all also out of my price range, most likely always will be. "Lovely to look upon, heaven to touch. It's a real shame they got to cost so much". So I started working on a Warmoth WDG. You can get them with a coccobolo top, they'll even do a 5 or 7 layer sandwich for you. But then I stared adding up all the extras I would "need" to really be satisfied with my once-in-a-lifetime guitar (and I was a Deadhead when Jerry was still playing the SG :shock: ). A custom neck with 5 layers, fingerboard inlay, brass on the top, back, and sides of the body, brass on the neck and headstock, brass fittings, Tiger inlay... etc. It adds up- and I'd still have a flat-top body with no relief.

So I talked to Phil. I wanted to do all the electronics myself anyway, so I was able to get pretty much what I was hoping for at a price that I could afford. I think some of the bad rap Phil has in some parts is from reviews from years ago when he was starting out- he has made hundereds of guitars since then. There are some very satisfied customers on this board. As he says, most of the Tigers pictured on his website were all versions moving toward his current T3 Tiger. He will build you a custom guitar based upon what you want. My lefty is almost done, still a few coats of laquer to go (masking tape on fingerboard):

Beautiful. Way beyond what I could have done or expected with a WGD. It took quite a bit longer than I expected, but like the sign in the speed shop says "You can get it fast, you can get it cheap, you can get it right- but not all three." I'm delighted so far. Time will tell (tick, tick, tick.........).

YMMV
 #106415  by Staemius

^Love it beautiful! Tenn. Jedi is that a Musician you modded? Very cool looking!
 #106416  by Jon S.

What many people lose track of, I believe, is that it doesn't matter how "just like Tiger" it is if it's not you. Not that you could talk my builder into doing it again anyway but FWIW when Phil Jacoby http://www.philtone.com built my #1, we put our heads - and hands - together on every aspect of the guitar. Perhaps the most important element to me was the first time the neck was set in the guitar and he literally carved it stroke by stroke, handing it back to me each time for feedback on the next carve and (eventually) when to stop. Is it any wonder then that I love this guitar more than any material object I own or have ever owned?

As for cabs, I wouldn't want to take anything away from any of the other fine builders but I found Tracy Lowe of Sound Scaper Productions http://soundscaperproductions.com/index.html a joy to work with, in addition to being a skilled carpenter. I love my SSP Jerry 2X12, it sounds so darn good!

#106420  by Urblues

I still can't believe how helpful you guys are, thanks so much.

I think that you are right about how expensive the other replicas are.

I will probably go with a Phiga when the day comes, but I'm not sure I want a jerry replica because I am not sure if my style will change or what.

Are Phigas good playing guitars? Do they have the neck setup right...? Still blurry on these things.
 #106423  by playingdead

Shame you're not a lefty, I have a preowned Walker Santa Cruz (swamp ash body) coming in to my shop that will be reasonably priced. Has the effects loop, switchable unity gain buffer and some nice Lollar humbucker sized single coils in it.

You should look at a Walker if you've got the money, it will do Jerry all night long but it will do anything else you can dream up. Scott's a wiring genius. PM me if you're interested in having a righty Walker built. It's in your price range and well worth the wait.

#106440  by MichaelCarolina

Neat discussion and pics. Can someone comment on the theory of having a switchable buffer as described in the Walker setup versus having the buffer initiated upon insertion of the stereo cable in the OBEL jack? Pros and cons of either/or?

Thanks. Michael
 #106443  by unnbrokenchain

Tennessee Jedi wrote:If money is no option just go with Hard Truckers
:-)
Hogan is a member here
This is a cab he made for me
Good luck !

LOL we have the same orange WaWa crate! :lol:
 #106446  by Urblues

The only thing holding me back from a tiger is the resale value.

Will I be able to get close to what I payed for it?
 #106447  by playingdead

Hey Michael:

In the typical Jerry setup, the buffer is always active, regardless of whether the onboard effects loop is in use.

The buffer can have an effect on certain effects ... some wah wah pedals definitely do not like a buffered signal ... and those with golden ears -- like Steve Kimock -- here differences with lots of pedals and amps. The switchable buffer just lets you have the best of both worlds.