#103851  by jackevorkian

I think I have enough parts/enclosures lying around to put one of these together. The only thing I am not sure of is the wiring to make the whole thing switchable from an OBEL guitar to a non-OBEL guitar.

Can anyone describe how it gets wired...or even better, is there a diagram/schematic floating around?
 #103852  by hippieguy1954

jackevorkian wrote:I think I have enough parts/enclosures lying around to put one of these together. The only thing I am not sure of is the wiring to make the whole thing switchable from an OBEL guitar to a non-OBEL guitar.

Can anyone describe how it gets wired...or even better, is there a diagram/schematic floating around?
I'm not really sure what your trying to do. I might be missing something, but when you flip the OBEL toggle switch, on the guitar, the OBEL is bypassed and it is a non OBEL guitar.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #103854  by jackevorkian

When you flip the toggle to "off" on your OBEL guitar, you are then going straight to the amp...which is the point. But when you plug in a different guitar (without all the fancy OBEL wiring), like your average Telecaster, you can't go through your effects board without moving a few cables around...because your effects are tied to a send/return loop that is tied to the TRS jack. Regular guitars just have a mono jack.

I'd like to build a floor pedal for routing the cables that has a toggle to allow you to use either an OBEL or non-OBEL wired guitar and still be able to use all your pedals without any rewiring...something like the Godfrey Daniels HubBub or The Wheel by AO. I'd also like to add the capability of it acting as true bypass effects loop when using a non-OBEL guitar.
 #103855  by Pete B.

There are two outboard buffer pedals (made by Waldo) in this thread (scroll down to pics).
I have used mine with several different Guitars and Pedal Steels.
I still want to get a nice Jerry clone guitar someday, but 'till then the pedal works great for me.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=8433
 #154668  by BJolley

jackevorkian wrote:Image
As always, this forum is very helpful. I'm wiring this up at the moment... and I never cease to amaze myself with my lack of electrical knowledge. I've wired everything up but have NOT connected anything to the sleeve lugs or otherwise run ground. None is shown. Does this automatically ground through use of metal (Switchcraft) jacks mounted in a metal box? Or do I need to do more? Thanks!
 #154693  by BJolley

UPDATE: I hate to confess that after getting this switchable box all wired up, it did not work correctly. No sound in OBEL input mode -- only in bypass mode. So after an hour of pulling my hair out trying to diagnose the problem, I decided to simplify and re-wired as shown below. Works fine now. Just will need to re plug a couple of cables if using non-OBEL guitar. Thanks again to this forum for the help!
myoung6923 wrote:Here's one that I made and use - it works perfect.