#101173  by JamminJommy

There is one for sale here in the Bay for $750. Sounds like the 2nd input would yield lots of very happy clean tones?

Jerry worthy? Additional thoughts and opinions?

Peace,

Jommy
 #101287  by Staemius

Looks like a good price - I'd like to pick one of these up some day. I've been digging my IIa this last year and recently picked up an f-50 head (very nice cleans!).
 #101296  by helio

Definitely give that Mark I a try if you can. Worth a good look. I tried a vintage Mark I recently and was very impressed. As you note, the tamer channel definitely gives some tones that are worthy of the Fender blackface amps that inspired it. But the other cool thing I found, in an admittedly brief try, was this:

The hotter Mesa channel on the Mark I can itself yield some great full, fat cleans. The kind of cleans where you can hear the power of the increased saturation in them, but clipping isn't quite there yet. Of course, you can crank the volumes to get serious gain, but dialed back, that Mesa channel could, me thinks, push out some great liquidy Jerry lead tones.

Final note: I've had and liked the Mesa Mark III. But I like the Mark I better. Not as versatile, but in my brief test, sounded closer to it's Fender heritage than the later Mark III. A simpler, purer tube tone. My unschooled assumption on this is that as the Mesas went along in development, more versatility was added, but some of that guitar-straight-to-tube tone was lost... Hidden by more complex circuitry. Going by my ears here... Not by any technical knowledge at all... So take it with a canister of salt!

Try out that Mark I. You'll like it.
 #101299  by strumminsix

helio wrote:My unschooled assumption on this is that as the Mesas went along in development, more versatility was added, but some of that guitar-straight-to-tube tone was lost... Hidden by more complex circuitry. Going by my ears here... Not by any technical knowledge at all... So take it with a canister of salt!
Very much agree! They were on their way back with the Lonestar series but didn't make it, IMO.
 #101499  by Deadhead85

Well man, I don't know if you ended up getting the amp or not, but I hope you did! I have an MKI RI (combo), and could not be happier with it....amazing amp! If you got it, great...if not, keep an eye out for one, or at least try one out!
 #101855  by JamminJommy

Bought it.

YIPPIE!

We'll see what it sounds like in the studio. I'm recording at Hyde Street Studios next week in Studio C. Some of you may better know it as Wally Heiders...

Peace,

Jommy