#99340  by keirweir

hippieguy1954 wrote:Has anyone besides me tried the Beyma Liberty 8 speakers? It's a E120 clone. I have 2 JBL E120's in a twin and 2 of these in a cab. I can't tell the difference! Check it out here: http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20liberty-1.htm

I've got a pair of the Beyma liberty 8's. I used them in my twin for a couple years. They sound great, just not as good as the K 12's in my twin now :-)
 #99376  by schmidtz

I am curious as to why anyone would get the Beyma knock offs?
There are two mint K120's on ebay for $159 each, and one Beyma is $259....
 #99387  by eric

Ya i just snagged 2 K 120's off ebay this weekend..about $300...and i had been debating the the beyma's or the tt alnico 12's .. but at 250-300 new shipped for a clone seemed a bit much......and only a little discount for a used one, is pretty steep.

I couldn't justify it . But I'm not a gigging/ touring musician who is in the latter stages of the ultimate quest for "that tone". All the guys on here seem to say that it's at the top of it's food chain...but you already have the E's ....so ..?????
 #99394  by hippieguy1954

eric wrote:Ya i just snagged 2 K 120's off ebay this weekend..about $300...and i had been debating the the beyma's or the tt alnico 12's .. but at 250-300 new shipped for a clone seemed a bit much......and only a little discount for a used one, is pretty steep.

I couldn't justify it . But I'm not a gigging/ touring musician who is in the latter stages of the ultimate quest for "that tone". All the guys on here seem to say that it's at the top of it's food chain...but you already have the E's ....so ..?????
Well, when I was putting my rig together, I wanted E 120's in my twin and in my extention cab. I could only fine 2 E 120's that didn't need reconing and I looked for weeks. Finally I decided to get the Liberty 8"s and spend the extra money. They sound exactly the same as the E 120's and the cost is about the same as reconing an older E 120!
 #99400  by keirweir

I will say I have matched up my E's and my Beyma's and I like the Beyma's better.

The K's just work well in my twin. If I was pushing my twin with a Mac or somthing with balls I woul use my Beyma's. They do sound awesome. It took about 6 months for me to break them in ( I wasn't giging much at the time).
 #99401  by eric

Well, when I was putting my rig together, I wanted E 120's in my twin and in my extention cab. I could only fine 2 E 120's that didn't need reconing and I looked for weeks. Finally I decided to get the Liberty 8"s and spend the extra money. They sound exactly the same as the E 120's and the cost is about the same as reconing an older E 120!

thats a really good point Hippieguy....This is something I've been debating in my head for the past few weeks...By the time you have to recone a jbl...you can just get a "insert new speaker here" and not have to worry about when that day will come...and if you already have a sweet pair of E's , then why not see what modern technology can bring....point taken ...It sounds like you're reallin lovin your speaks ...thats all that matters .....and a good day to you sir!!!
 #99574  by hippieguy1954

eric wrote:

thats a really good point Hippieguy....This is something I've been debating in my head for the past few weeks...By the time you have to recone a jbl...you can just get a "insert new speaker here" and not have to worry about when that day will come...and if you already have a sweet pair of E's , then why not see what modern technology can bring....point taken ...It sounds like you're reallin lovin your speaks ...thats all that matters .....and a good day to you sir!!!
Yes, I do really love these speakers! The E120's and the Beyma Liberty 8's!.... and you have a great day too! Peace...love brother!
 #99593  by JonnyBoy

I have to agree with Keir, I don't have the Beyma's, but I do have a pair the Commonwealth Eminence and they have a great sound... The "Knock Off's" are great speakers I would dare to say. I also agree why pay over $200 a piece for new speakers when you can get E's and K's for cheaper. The newer speakers seem to have a better overall frequency response though, once broken in. I thought they had a tad more bass and mids, and I then finally realized that the E's were just lacking it and probably had it too 25 years ago. They are so similar that it is hair splitting IMO, but I know how we like to split them around here :lol: .
 #99816  by JustinJohn

I played through a set of the Beyma Liberty 8's in a Mesa Boogie - they sounded really good! But, it's hard to make a comparison to JBLs without actually A/B'ing em'. I will say that my pick attack felt pretty much the same through the Beymas as I'm accustomed to through my JBLs. And word is that, side by side, the two types of speakers are damn close
 #102400  by Jerry1996x

I was at the Dead Gear Expo today, and got to play the new "Garcia" Amp through a JG-1 with Beymas in it. Ive only played through JBLs 1 time so i dont have very much experiance with them, but when i started playing, I thought they were JBLs, haha. They really sounded great. When I get my rig up and running i am most likely going to go with the Beymas.
 #107525  by TRG

I just bought a pair of Beyma Libertys. Is their any credence to speakers not reaching their potential with low wattage? I've read that unless you push a said minimum wattage, that you may not get the "correct" sound out of your speakers by underpowering them. For reference these will be powered by a Mosvalve MV962 or MC250. Is their any truth to speakers not breaking in/sounding right by not powerng them with a specific minimum?
 #107526  by mijknahs

TRG wrote:I just bought a pair of Beyma Libertys. Is their any credence to speakers not reaching their potential with low wattage? I've read that unless you push a said minimum wattage, that you may not get the "correct" sound out of your speakers by underpowering them. For reference these will be powered by a Mosvalve MV962 or MC250. Is their any truth to speakers not breaking in/sounding right by not powerng them with a specific minimum?
There is truth about breaking in speakers but my old JBL E120s that I've been using for the past 15 years, sound GREAT at a lower volume in my garage when just practicing by myself.
 #107527  by TRG

mijknahs wrote:
TRG wrote:I just bought a pair of Beyma Libertys. Is their any credence to speakers not reaching their potential with low wattage? I've read that unless you push a said minimum wattage, that you may not get the "correct" sound out of your speakers by underpowering them. For reference these will be powered by a Mosvalve MV962 or MC250. Is their any truth to speakers not breaking in/sounding right by not powerng them with a specific minimum?
There is truth about breaking in speakers but my old JBL E120s that I've been using for the past 15 years, sound GREAT at a lower volume in my garage when just practicing by myself.
Nice, so when you say "truth about breaking them in"...do you mean they will sounds better after you've played through them for "x" hours and they are settled in? And thanks for the quick response!