#99086  by jackevorkian

Anyone have a suggestion of a good tech to wire up Waldo's buffer and an OBEL? I'm in New Haven, CT...but don't mind traveling a little bit. I'd prefer it be someone that's hip to the whole Garcia thing so that I'm not having to attempt to explain the how's and why's.

I'm adding a middle pickup and probably an additional control cavity, so if they're also skilled with the router that's a hugh plus. Otherwise, I do know of a great luthier for the woodworking portion of this project.

Thanks!
 #99092  by schmidtz

Honestly, if you own a router, and aren't inept, it's not hard at all to do it yourself (wire especially).

That being said, if you have a real expensive guit-fiddle, or no router, it will be cheaper to take it to a shop.
 #99107  by mkaufman

Sorry, I can't help w/ a recommendation in CT. Joe Martin is down in Westchester County in NY, however, I'm not sure if he does that type of wiring.

btw...since you live in New Haven, if you're up for it, stop by when we play at Stella Blues. We'll be there on 7/9 and three of us are RUKIND members - always cool to meet others in person.

mk
 #99117  by jackevorkian

schmidtz wrote:Honestly, if you own a router, and aren't inept, it's not hard at all to do it yourself (wire especially).

That being said, if you have a real expensive guit-fiddle, or no router, it will be cheaper to take it to a shop.
If this weren't a semi hollow carved archtop, i'd be up for the challenge...but it's not really worth the risk.
 #99120  by jackevorkian

mkaufman wrote:Sorry, I can't help w/ a recommendation in CT. Joe Martin is down in Westchester County in NY, however, I'm not sure if he does that type of wiring.

btw...since you live in New Haven, if you're up for it, stop by when we play at Stella Blues. We'll be there on 7/9 and three of us are RUKIND members - always cool to meet others in person.

mk
I've been meaning to stop by...looks like a good place.
 #99145  by Capt Rosebuddy

Try G guitars in New Haven. They are Very GD family friendly/Alembic Dealer, not to mention a top notch boutique guitar shop. I'd be shocked if their tech couldn't read the Tiger schem and wire it up for you.
 #99152  by Capt Rosebuddy

mkaufman wrote:They are closing or have closed.

mk
ugh, that's too bad that place was like a museum. The last time I was in there I played a really nice Ibanez 2680, I kind of kicked myself for not buying it. They also had killer pedals which I'm a total sucker for (shocking right?)
 #99155  by jackevorkian

mkaufman wrote:They are closing or have closed.

mk
yeah, they closed a few months ago. brian, who used to work there, opened up brian's guitars in hamden...sort of a smaller version of g guitars. they send their work out to a guy in orange that's pretty good.
 #99170  by eric

Brian's guitars had a SICK Alembic " Furthur" Tribute a few months ago.. If I only had the $10,000 !! Yes that a TEN.

Right up 95 in New London is just the guy your looking for..He's done some great work for a good buddy of mine over the years . And he's a really cool guy as well. The kind of guy you just let talk so because your so fascinated by his knowledge.

His website doesn't get into it too much , but he specializes more on the electronics side of guitars now , I believe .

www.theguitarmechanic.com/
 #99171  by eric

jackevorkian wrote:
mkaufman wrote:Sorry, I can't help w/ a recommendation in CT. Joe Martin is down in Westchester County in NY, however, I'm not sure if he does that type of wiring.

mk
7/9 ..as on a Tuesday? Stella Blues in N. H. ? NICE!!!
My girlfriends parents are from Hamden . Perfect opportunity for me to pull a little bait and switch and come check you guys out !!!
 #99187  by eric

Ya... I have no clue why I thought 7/9 was a Tuesday in August instead of a Saturday in July......? my apologies... I posted that pretty late last night ...