#98955  by JonnyBoy

Brad can put a Spring Verb option in the SMS if you prefer it. The best choice I made when ordering his preamp was to trust his choices and knowledge about his own build. The reverb is clear, non tone altering, no mud, just added depth. I think Jerry would agree too!
 #98956  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:The reverb is clear, non tone altering, no mud, just added depth. I think Jerry would agree too!
I agree. Being a Bobby player I add just enough to not sound dry and can easily add delay in with it and sounds great!!!
 #99821  by JustinJohn

I had my 1971 twin modded with a half power switch so I can run it at 50watts, and when I crank that sucker to 6 or 7 - which is unheard of at 100watts, at least in the small venues I play - it sounds freaking sweet! Nice slight breakup on the single high notes when I strike hard down.

I know I have it set about right when I get feedback with my clean tone while facing my amp. =)
 #99822  by Laytonco

Strumminsix wrote:
I agree. Being a Bobby player I add just enough to not sound dry and can easily add delay in with it and sounds great!!!
Hey SS, I have heard about Bob's delay enough to want to ask now:

1) What era(s)?
2) How much delay?
3) Do you have a favorite Dead show you could direct me to to hear it?

For Jerry's tone, I think it absolutely requires a good bit of spring reverb. For Bobby, definitely less and when I isolate tracks, both albums and live shows, there are occassions when it "sounds' like he is completely dry.

Peace,

Gil
 #99835  by strumminsix

Laytonco wrote:Strumminsix wrote:
Hey SS, I have heard about Bob's delay enough to want to ask now:

1) What era(s)?
2) How much delay?
3) Do you have a favorite Dead show you could direct me to to hear it?

For Jerry's tone, I think it absolutely requires a good bit of spring reverb. For Bobby, definitely less and when I isolate tracks, both albums and live shows, there are occassions when it "sounds' like he is completely dry.

Peace,

Gil
Gil,

1. 80 onward
2. Slap with a decent tail
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tn2-I_N0jc, but his still subtle and gets lost in the mix when the band jumps in. Note, Weir has on reverb and delay.

In my opinion his reverb is usually just enough so that it's not dry but not very 'verby if you will. My drummer likes the big lush guitar sound and asks why I don't use reverb. I say I do :)