rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#98101  by Grateful.Ed
 Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 pm
I'm thinking of getting one for the middle of a nashville tele with a rosewood neck.

It's described as a bridge pup. Are you using it in middle or neck....is it too hot?

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated. THX
Last edited by Grateful.Ed on Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #98109  by Capt Rosebuddy
 Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 am
Yea I have used one in the middle spot on a strat knock off. It will do the trick. I have on in the bridge spot on my Garcia guitar and never use it, even for the out of phase stuff.
 #98131  by Grateful.Ed
 Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm
THX! I think I'm gonna give it a try.

This guitar seems pretty sweet. I'm rewiring it for the 4 way tele postions (Neck/Bridge/Both Series/Both Parallel) and the Middle only.

The black pup should look a lot better than the white one too.

#98143  by jenkins
 Thu May 12, 2011 5:08 pm
Yup, I had one installed in the middle of my les Paul & I couldn't b happier, it totally nails the Jerry tone.
Definitely worth putting in there, if your going for Jerry it's totally awesome
I wasn't sure about it but i couldn't fit a super 2 on there but once it was installed I was shocked at how great it sounds
 #107486  by BJolley
 Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 pm
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just came across this post. Great info. I want to do the same thing to my Nashville Tele so I'm glad to see it has worked for others. Question for Grateful Ed: Did you install a regular SDS-1 in the middle position or a reverse wound/reverse polarity pickup? Not sure which I need to purchase -- this will be my first pickup change so I'm still learning this stuff... Thanks for any help.
 #107505  by bstormwind
 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:22 am
The SDS-1 is a fine pickup, but it does lack high end sparkle and low note definition that fender 57/62 or 54, 69 custom shops give you for example. sds-1 is more midrangey with higher output - the high output can be nice because helps push an amp into some breakup without a pedal (depending on your amp and set-up that is). However, that extra output will also change the interaction with the neck and bridge pickups when using pos 2 and 4 on the nash....you may or may not like the result. Just an FYI. Its too much fun to experiement with these things.....i have lost track the times i have changed the pickups in my strat trying to find what i like best. the sds-1's have made it back in and out a time or two. i like em best in the bridge.
 #107569  by BJolley
 Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09 pm
Bstormwind, thanks for the thoughts. I'm trying to get some more Jerrish tone out of a guitar I already own. Rather than trying to route out the body, buying a new pickguard, and then coil splitting a Super 2, I thought sticking an SDS-1 in the existing route might help. Any thoughts on regular vs. RWRP pickup for middle position? I don't even know whether the stock FenderTex-Mex middle pickup is RWRP.
 #107578  by drewfx
 Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 am
On a strat you normally don't get a "bridge and neck together" PU combination, so a RWRP middle PU is used to cancel hum when combined with either the neck or bridge PU in the 2 or 4 positions.

I'm not sure how your Nashville PU's or switching is set up, but if you are only using the PU on it's own, it doesn't matter whether it's RWRP or not.
 #108464  by BJolley
 Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm
I completed this swap a couple of weekends ago on my Nashville Tele. It's far from true "Jerry Tone" (likely operator error more than anything) but closer than before -- and I like it. It's much higher output than the stock Tex-Mex strat pickup, which allows the envelope filter to open and the Q-Tron to come alive in on the first an second strings -- which just wasn't happening with the stock P/U. I'd say worth the $50 investment. There is a noticeable volume boost when going from either the bridge or neck P/U to the SDS-1. Now if only I can learn to solder better...