#175545  by lbpesq

Darkstar860 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:58 am https://effectpedalkits.com/shop/micro- ... nZ_jTxbzQM

Anyone seen this ^ ? I ordered one today. Ill let ya know how it compares to my Tru-Tron 3X, Original Mu-Tron, Micro-Tron IV and the Q-Tron.

Did you ever get the kit? How did it turn out?

Bill, tgo
 #175546  by Chocol8

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 am Did yours arrive yet? If so, let us know whacha think!
It showed up this evening...and tonight is BOOK CLUB NIGHT where my wife goes and hangs out with other wives and they all complain about their husbands. So naturally, I waved goodbye and then plugged it in alongside the Microtron IV and cranked up the Super Reverb (Twins are in the basement) and gave it a whirl.

Like every envelope filter, it took a bit to get it dialed in. I currently have the Peak low like the MT, the Gain is higher (so it needs a little hotter input signal but I think most Strats should drive it), the output level is much lower so it has a lot of extra output headroom. The Sweep control is new and not on the MT, but after a minute of playing around with it, I realized I like it very low, if not totally down.

With those setting and my guitar etc. I am getting results very close to the MT. It is really hard to level match and match the gain/triggering perfectly, but I got the two pedals acting and sounding pretty close. The MT seems a bit warmer and mellower, and the JD is a bit brighter and may cut a little better in a mix.

Hitting them with a hot boosted signal (after adjusting the gain) the JD distorts a bit which I believe is something the vintage ones will do. I can't remember for sure but I think the MT jumper is set for the TT preamp instead of the vintage mutron one, which might explain why it stayed clean.

Other than those difference, the pedals are very similar. That is a good thing! It sounds great and will definitely do the Jerry thing.

Hopefully the pictures help you see the settings and visualize the size.

Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #175548  by Gr8fulCadi

Thank you for the informative post and pics!!

We have similar rigs so should have close or the same results. I will try it with a strat and a OBEL/Wald Buffer equipped guitar into a homemade Super Reverb and 74’ modded twin with K120’s.

Interesting about the brightness between the 2 Trons. I was going to get the Micro Tron IV but also heard some mixed reviews, not about the sound of it, (heard it sounds killer) but read about some pedals having quality control issues, who knows I may snag one down the line.

Mine will arrive Monday. Unfortunately no book club here :biggrin: , and my two daughters have sports practice pretty much Mon-Friday but I will try it Monday night I’m sure. Thanks again.
 #175549  by Chocol8

FWIW, the guitar I used for testing is a Strat with SD Surfer II Antiquity pickups and the Fender mid-boost kit installed. The boost pre-amp makes it behave similar to a having a buffer (when not boosting mids) except there is more gain on tap. I tested at what is close to unity gain and also with the volume turned up to 10 which I think is around +12 db clean boost. All testing was done on the middle pickup with no mid boost.
 #175550  by Gr8fulCadi

Ha!! I also have SD Antiquity surfers though I have the SSL5 for the bridge. All stock beyond that. The Surfers are so cool sounding, woody with some umph! I’ve had those for many years with no desire to change.

I have Fender Pure Vintage 54’s that I’d like to drop in my Phiga Eagle in place of the Super II’s.

Thanks for the continued info. Looking forward to Monday
 #175551  by lbpesq

lbpesq wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:08 pm
Darkstar860 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:58 am https://effectpedalkits.com/shop/micro- ... nZ_jTxbzQM

Anyone seen this ^ ? I ordered one today. Ill let ya know how it compares to my Tru-Tron 3X, Original Mu-Tron, Micro-Tron IV and the Q-Tron.
Did you ever get the kit? How did it turn out?

Bill, tgo

My inquiry was about the kit you posted above, not the JD pedal.

Bill, tgo
 #175552  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am My inquiry was about the kit you posted above, not the JD pedal.
That member hasn't been on since late January.
 #175553  by Chocol8

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 am Ha!! I also have SD Antiquity surfers though I have the SSL5 for the bridge. All stock beyond that. The Surfers are so cool sounding, woody with some umph! I’ve had those for many years with no desire to change.

I have Fender Pure Vintage 54’s that I’d like to drop in my Phiga Eagle in place of the Super II’s.

Thanks for the continued info. Looking forward to Monday
My two main Strats both have had SD surfer sets a long time as well. One has a vintage "accurate" custom set with all three identical output and polarity. The other has the RWRP middle and hotter bridge. I am not sure which setup I prefer, but I know I haven't come across another set of Strat pickups I like more.

One of my newer Strats is a 2016 ish American Standard that came with their CS Fat 50's pickups and I could not bond with them, and also related to this thread, I never got the height adjusted right where they would trigger the mutron evenly between strings. I even tried adjusting the pole height with a press, but I came to the conclusion that I would need to actually replace the rods and change the magnet length. Not worth it! The SD's just work and sound better.

I am curious how the pure vintage 54's will work. Do they have the vintage correct 54 pole stagger that was designed for the wound G? I understand Alligator had the early pole stagger, but Jerry didn't use that guitar with the Mutron.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #175556  by Gr8fulCadi

Actually received the JD today!! Only had a couple minutes to give it a spin on a totally non-Jerry rig. Tweed Proluxe and semi-hallow p90 guitar and it still sounded really good. I’m excited so far.
Chocol8 liked this