#160462  by seagoat

Hey guys I just found a pair of monitors with black widows in them for a remarkably inexpensive price, I have brought them home but havent paid for them yet... I have pulled a speaker and it looks like its a 1202 4 ohm black widow model. I've seen posts on here where people mention the 1201's but havent heard anything about this model. they look just like jbls with the aluminum dust cap and what not... would these ones make good guitar amp speakers or not? I know Brad Sarno knows a bit about these speakers... maybe I can get his attention? Thanks!

#160466  by PurpleTrails

From the description on that site it seems like they are designed to drive horn speakers. Given that they would be situated at the narrow end of a horn, that would be one ginormous horn, probably tuned to play the bass frequencies. I have no experience with any of the black widow speakers, but my guess is that they will be extremely efficient, and likely easy to blow up being driven by a guitar.
 #160468  by seagoat

earlier this afternoon I hooked it up. I used my american strat with a stratoblaster, going into my boss GT-100 (a patch called JERRY TWIN I created) I turned the cab simulator off and them ran into my McIntosh 2100 and then into the Black Widow. I've been playing jerry riffs for well over 10 years and that is the closest I've ever been to the tone. I didnt play too long or crank it super loud, but at a certain volume the right tone started to dial in. I have a deluxe reverb with 6L6s in it that is being blackfaced right now that I just put a JBL D120F... I image that will sound great but I haven't played it all modded out with the JBL yet. I also ordered a SMS classic earlier this month so I'll be stoked when that arrives. I also have a birch 1x12 being made for a JBL E120 I have. I may just put these widows back in the monitor cabs and use them for that since I wouldnt wanna destroy them, but Im gonna keep them around for backups or practice use.
 #160472  by Jon S.

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington