#124559  by NSP

Just picked up a mv962 for a backup amp and I'm wondering if I should be able to use channel B by itself as a mono output? When I tried I got some serious crackle and intermittent signal. Channel A sounds just fine by itself. Is it not designed to use channel B alone or do I have an issue?
 #124560  by gmchart

I've had a 962 for only a couple of months,and like it very much. It came with what looks like the original owner's manual. The manual says "for mono use channel A and set channel B controls to "0". Another section says "Stereo opperation is automatic whenan additional input is plugged into channel B. Hope that helps.
 #124563  by NSP

gmchart wrote:I've had a 962 for only a couple of months,and like it very much. It came with what looks like the original owner's manual. The manual says "for mono use channel A and set channel B controls to "0". Another section says "Stereo opperation is automatic whenan additional input is plugged into channel B. Hope that helps.
Yeah, I read through the manual, but I'm not certain if that means it will only function properly as a mono amp using channel A.
 #124564  by mijknahs

I think I've used both channels at separate times as "mono" channels.
 #124567  by SarnoMusicSolutions

The pots almost always need a good cleaning.

Caig Calilube rocks.

B
 #124568  by mijknahs

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:The pots almost always need a good cleaning.

Caig Calilube rocks.

B
Yeah, I can't touch mine without them sounding horrible. I need to clean them bad but I like where they're set at so I just don't touch them (the roof don't leak when it's not raining...)
 #124569  by NSP

Thanks guys, I'll get in there with some cleaner.
 #124575  by NSP

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:The pots almost always need a good cleaning.

Caig Calilube rocks.

B
Hey Brad,

Can you point me to where I can get the cleaner you recommend? From what I can tell in some web searches, the Calilube is now called DeoxIT. But, below is a quote you made from a past thread.

"One quick thought. Maybe make sure that ALL the wiper/contacts in the mono/stereo switch are perfectly clean. Use high% isopropyl or some other good non-residue contact cleaner (NOT Caig DeOxit!)."

Here's what I was looking at:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.293/.f

Thanks!
 #124577  by mijknahs

DeOxit has a bunch of different cleaners. I think you'd want the Fader-F series (like your link shows) which is formerly the Calilube.
 #124623  by NSP

mijknahs wrote:DeOxit has a bunch of different cleaners. I think you'd want the Fader-F series (like your link shows) which is formerly the Calilube.
Yep, picked up a can of the Fader lube cleaned up the pots and the problem disappeared...sweet.
 #124694  by SarnoMusicSolutions

I agree - avoid DeOxit. That red stuff.. It gums up and attracts dirt. It's very popular, but sucks after a couple of years. But the same company makes stuff for faders. It's much nicer stuff than the normal DeOxit, works great on pots and switches and jack contacts. You get more than a couple years out of that stuff.

Honestly, the best thing I've found over the years is pure isopropyl (anhydrous) to clean and remove oxide, and then use a VERY tiny amount of white turbine or sewing machine oil to lubricate.

B