rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #94035  by 1960strat
 Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:53 am
i believe Chuck Garvey from moe. plays a Becker. And it sounds great.
 #94043  by Becker Guitars
 Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 pm
1960strat wrote:i believe Chuck Garvey from moe. plays a Becker. And it sounds great.
You're correct! Chuck has had a few of our guitars over the years and plays his customs regularly. He's great to work with, and a KILLER guitar player as im sure the folks here know.

Here's a video interview he did with one of our guitars once:

We've worked with a few big names on the jam scene, actually (we LOVE jam bands here). All awesome guys. I might post a thread of some pics of that sort of thing in a bit.
 #94046  by tcsned
 Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 pm
This YouTube code is a bit funky - to embed one, don't post the whole URL as one would think to do just the YouTube ID part (the part after "=").

#94138  by Emoto
 Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:58 am
I was at the Fennario gig last night in Plymouth at the Guru Room (they rocked, BTW) and afterward had the chance to sit down with a gentleman from Becker and spend a couple of minutes playing (unamplified) two of the Becker guitars. I have to say that the woods, fit and finish, and craftsmanship were really great - flawless. The necks and action were really exceptionally nice, too. Anyone who is considering a custom guitar should really give these guys a close look. The quality was absolutely first rate.
 #94141  by myoung6923
 Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 am
Thanks so much for bringing down a couple of guitars for us to check out last night! The only drag is that I couldn't plug the guitar into my system easily without rewiring my effects because of my OBEL (I need a Hub Bub!).

But our rhythm player Dan Sullivan, played one of them for a good chunk of the night. What an amazing piece of work! I can't wait to come down to the shop and try them out.
 #94146  by Becker Guitars
 Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:22 am
Hey emoto and myoung! Thanks for the kind words. The gentleman who came to your show goes by Bagel, and from what I've gathered (i'm a newbie over here) he used to work with us and still is involved part-time as much as he can be. He's a great guy.

I was really scratching my head when I saw these posts, because I didn't think anyone from here was going to make it to the show (I'm 20 so anything at a bar is off-limits for me, and Dan and Ryan had commitments when I told them about it). I had no idea who could've come by until I remembered that Bagel had grabbed a few guitars yesterday for a show he was going to....he didn't even say who it was or where. What a crazy coincidence.

Anyway, I'm glad you guys got a chance to check out some guitars first-person! We've been checking out your band online since you originally told us about the gig, and you guys rock! We'd love for you guys to swing by the shop some time, please feel welcome to.
 #94151  by myoung6923
 Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:21 am
Here's a couple of pics of Dan playing one of the Becker guitars. It really sounded great and it's just a gorgeous instrument. You really have to see one to appreciate the workmanship.