rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #93817  by Becker Guitars
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 am
Hey all! We're a custom electric guitar/bass company out of Attleboro, Massachusetts. We don't make any "Jerry" guitars, but we absolutely love all things Dead and their music has always been a tremendous source of inspiration for us! We've lurked for a while and figured it was time to make an account.....this place rocks!

Feel free to check out some of our work at http://www.beckerguitars.com or http://www.facebook.com/beckerguitars, and we would love to help out in any way we can as far as questions about building, finishing, tech work, etc are concerned. Thanks!
 #93819  by tcsned
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 am
Wow! Those are some sweet guitars you produce! Welcome aboard!
 #93820  by JonnyBoy
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:38 am
now those are some cool guitars, especially like the mando/guitar double neck with the hollow body. Damn, really? That is just plain cool, I have a bluegrass buddy that has asked about that EXACT thing. Welcome, you seem to fit in well here... :smile:
 #93840  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 am
Welcome to the neighborhood, both literally and online!

Might want to double-check the origin of the quote on the home page... I don't believe Jerry ever said that, I think it was really Uncle Bobo talking about the GD. I feel like I've even heard an adio clip of him saying it. Whatever the true origin, I've seen it misquoted in literally dozens of ways so I could certainly be wrong...

Anyway... welcome! I like the guitars, they're unique but warm and almost familiar... like a great song that you feel like you've known all your life the very first time you hear it. Craftsmanship looks superb as well. Can't wait to see the basses! :cheers:
 #93841  by steve
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 am
Rusty the Scoob wrote: Might want to double-check the origin of the quote on the home page... I don't believe Jerry ever said that, I think it was really Uncle Bobo talking about the GD. I feel like I've even heard an adio clip of him saying it. Whatever the true origin, I've seen it misquoted in literally dozens of ways so I could certainly be wrong...
I believe in the Winterland DVD Bill Graham said something similar to that, though it's worded differently. I'm pretty sure that's the DVD I'm thinking of.
 #93842  by vwjodyme
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 pm
According to Wikipedia:
Bill Graham said of the Grateful Dead, "They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do."33

Anyway welcome and sweet guitars :cool:
 #93848  by Becker Guitars
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:22 pm
vwjodyme wrote:According to Wikipedia:
Bill Graham said of the Grateful Dead, "They're not the best at what they do, they're the only ones that do what they do."33

Anyway welcome and sweet guitars :cool:
Funny, I'll have to pass that along to everybody else here. Thanks!
 #93850  by Becker Guitars
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:24 pm
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Welcome to the neighborhood, both literally and online!

Might want to double-check the origin of the quote on the home page... I don't believe Jerry ever said that, I think it was really Uncle Bobo talking about the GD. I feel like I've even heard an adio clip of him saying it. Whatever the true origin, I've seen it misquoted in literally dozens of ways so I could certainly be wrong...

Anyway... welcome! I like the guitars, they're unique but warm and almost familiar... like a great song that you feel like you've known all your life the very first time you hear it. Craftsmanship looks superb as well. Can't wait to see the basses! :cheers:
Thanks Rusty, those are really nice complements. Waltham, huh? You oughta come by some time! I'll post some basses later on.
 #93851  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:46 pm
That'd be awesome! Maybe set up a gathering, I swear at least 1/3rd of RUKind lives on the South Shore. There must be something in the water down there. :lol:

Fennario's playing in Plymouth this Saturday by coincidence:

Mike plays a gorgeous Resurrection Bolt and a PRS that's Jerrified by Mouradian. I play amongh other things a Warmoth neck with a custom Coco Bolo, maple, purpleheart, mahogany and ebony body that my dad built... he did a great job especially for a first try, but yours are a cut above!
 #93864  by jackr
 Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 am
Nice. Those guitars look familiar. Do you do summer Namm?
 #93869  by Emoto
 Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 am
Welcome, and those are some nice looking guitars!
 #93944  by Becker Guitars
 Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:32 pm
jackr wrote:Nice. Those guitars look familiar. Do you do summer Namm?
I don't think we have, but I'll ask Dan (Becker) in the morning. I've only been here a little over a month so I couldn't tell you for sure. You may have seen them if you go to Umphrey's, moe., or Disco Biscuits concerts. A few of those guys (Jake Cinninger, Ryan Stasik, Barber, Marc Brownstein, and Chuck Garvey) play our customs regularly. Premier Guitar has done a review and run a few ads over the years as well, maybe you saw something there.