name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #88129  by MeAndMyUncle

Hi all,
just found this great forum this evening when I was looking for some vintage Ibanez guitars I'm lacking - especially a AR 500 AV or CS.
To introduce myself: My name is Klaus, I'm located in Bavaria, Germany and I'm a Deadhead since I saw the Dead for the first time in german TV when they did their Europe trip in '72.
At that time I was at the age of 13. So now I'm 51 and still addicted to the Dead.
I saw the Dead several times - but as it is gone forever it was much to less:
1980 in NYC
1980 Jerry Garcia Band in San Francisco (I was travelling/hitch hiking all over the US from April 1980 to September 1980)
1981 in Munich
1990 in Berlin

Like many guys around here I'm not only listening to music, I'm also playing an instrument - guitar. But I can't sing :-(
Several years ago I was playing in bands with different styles, mostly Rock, Blues, some Reggae but always self composed stuff, many pieces were Dead influenced, some even covers of dead tunes.
Now I mainly play at home for myself but I im thinking about setting up a band again, just for fun, maybe doing some gigs, if we're good enough and people want to hear it.

I own several electric guitars some of them 30 years old or more. But last year I saw a beautiful Ibanez 2861 NT RE '94 at eBay -the Bob Weir Model - I already was dreaming of in the 80ths and NOW I got it.
Wow!!!

Two months later came a 2680 AV from 1978 in almost great condition. The PU's were not original but I managed to get two Flying Fingers PUs from a guy in the US. I also replaced the worn out bridge and tailpiece with brand new origninal parts for the AR 300 RE / AR 5000 RE (YES they fit!!!) which you can buy at the local german Ibanez distributor (for a price whwre you can get a whole Epiphone LP ;-) )
And now the 2680 is in a perfect condition and playing like hell - for me and my abilities.

Some months later, a Ibanez Musician MC 300 AV from 1979 and a MC 500 AV from 1980 joined the team. Both have som dings & dongs but are in great condition compared to their age.

My other guitars are:
- The Heritage Semi Acoustic (More or less identical to the Gibson 335)
- Self built Strat from 1983 with Neck through Body
- Oakland ZX1200 (also Neck throuh body), the affordable alternative to an Ibanez AR or MC 500 in 1981, also with active electronics and a really great and versatile guitar. But in direct comarision to the Ibanez, I know why it was much cheaper :-(
- Fender Telecaster Sunburst American from 1994
- Ibanez Roadstar 225 from 1984
- Höfner Model 164 Colorama from 1962 (The early Beatles used to play that model) in almost perfect condition since it was refurbished at Hoefner, Germany in the original factory some years ago. I know the guys owning Hoefner since 1982. There I also bought the raw body from my Strat '83

Ok, folks, that's all to tell at the moment.

Regards

Klaus
 #88143  by Emoto

Welcome!
 #88147  by Grateful Dad

Guten Abend!

Those Ibanez guitars are great guitars. I just recently found a black 1979 Artist model 2619 in excellent shape on Guitar Center's used inventory list on the internet ($500.00). And I also picked up a sunburst 1977 Artist model 2622 that I dropped off at the luthier's for a total makeover (pictures to follow). It will be ready sometime in 2011. My electric guitar collection is set now for quite some time. My main instrument is the bass but playing Weir stuff and studying jazz chords and theory on the guitar really helps round out the bass playing too.

Keep on playing, all you need to do is have fun and the rest will follow.

Enjoy this site, it has some really cool members who can give all sorts of information from technical to musical to concert information!

Bis spater!

Grateful Dad
 #88151  by DeadAheadNH

Servus Klaus,

Grüß Dich aus den USA!! Wußte doch daß früher oder später andere aus D-Land sich auch hier her finden 8) Kennt mann sich veilleicht aus der Germanheads.de Gruppe ????

Geile Klampfen :hail:

Couldn't resist guys ... I thought we'd roll out the international welcome wagon :-)
 #88156  by JonnyBoy

Welcome Klaus! I always enjoy meeting people from all over the world right here in our own computer land of dead heads. Really cool. Welcome.
 #88163  by MeAndMyUncle

Thank you all for giving me this warm welcome.
In the next days I'll try to post some pics of my guitars.

Germanheads.de kannte ich bisher gar nicht, danke für den Tip.

See you
Klaus
 #88290  by MeAndMyUncle

Here a quick shot of my Ibanez family.
From left 2 right:
- Roadstar 225 '84
- Musician 500DS '80
- Musician 300DS '79
- 2680 AV '78 - my current favourite
- 2681 NT RE '94

Hope you like it.
Klaus
 #88293  by tcsned

Klaus,
Leider hat es eine Weile her seit ich mein Deutsch zu haben. Ich lebte in Bayern von 1972 bis 1978. Ich lebte in Augsburg und Neu-Ulm. Mein Vater war ein Spion. Bayern ist ein wunderschöner Ort. Ich vermisse es sehr. Ich war in Frankfurt im Jahre 1966 geboren. Wo wohnst du?

Willkommen in der Gruppe!

schöne Gitarren!

I apologize if my grammar and vocabulary sucks - it's been a while since I've used it.

Prosit!!
 #88317  by MeAndMyUncle

Guten Morgen,

dein Deutsch ist doch noch ganz ok! Es ist wie Rad fahren, man verlernt es nie ganz ;-)
I live in Erding which is about 30 Miles northeast of munich. Like in many german cities, also in erding there used to be American soldiers in an Airbase until mid of te 90ties.
From here it's about 1 1/2 hours to drive to the Alpen (Zugspitze) where you can do winter sports.

You're right. Bavaria is a very nice region and I really like to live here.

Klaus
 #88325  by strumminsix

Hello and welcome! That's quite a nice collection of guitars you have there!

Looking forward to hearing more about them and your EU GD experiences!!