rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #80876  by ShadyWilbury
 Sun May 30, 2010 2:48 pm
Hello, all.

Currently resident in the UK, I came to the music of the Grateful Dead a few years ago- think 'Friend of the Devil' was my first track, but lately I've been trying to learn 'Ripple' on guitar. Listening to one of Jerry's solo live recordings, it sounds as though he plays the melody slightly faster than usual? Anyway, I also love their covers of 'When I Paint My Masterpiece', and Jerry's solo 'Tangled Up in Blue'.

Hope to share with you more as time goes on,

Shady
 #80929  by JonnyBoy
 Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 am
Welcome! The Grateful Dead is a prolific band, you will be enjoy their music until the day you die without a lack for new content or music to discover. I'm not quite sure the places the Dead visited in England in 1972 were "dead friendly" either, considering most people had no idea who they were in Europe at the time. I am sure the people were friendly though.
 #80938  by tcsned
 Mon May 31, 2010 12:47 pm
Welcome to the group! I hope all is well across the pond. I grew up in Germany (72-80).
 #81013  by amyjared
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am
Welcome to the show! I saw the Dead in England back in '89 or '90. Memory is a little hazy, but at the time, I ran into a guy I knew in London and he introduced me to a friend of his who was a deadhead and was in a cover band, Cosmic Charlie. I used to trade tapes with him. Lost track of him over time, but he was way cool. I spent about a month in England, had a great time!
 #81018  by Good Times
 Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 am
Welcome :smile: I lived in West London for a year between 1995 and 1996. I met a lot of great people and musicians, through friends and friends of friends, but nobody that was into the Dead. I had a lot of tapes with me at the time and freely lent them out but never got anyone "hooked." That year was one of the best times of my life even though it wasn't filled with any fellow heads :D
 #82558  by jeffm725
 Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am
UK fan huh? --- I have always had a distaste for the Kentucky Wildcats. Especially now that they have that scumbag John Calipari as head coach. He is a slimy,dirty squid. He will cheat until he is in the grave and will probably find a way to cheat from beyond the grave. I hate that bastard.

whats that? UK = United Kingdom? This isnt the ESPN board? AH CRAP............nevermind......... :?
 #82559  by tcsned
 Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 pm
jeffm725 wrote:UK fan huh? --- I have always had a distaste for the Kentucky Wildcats. Especially now that they have that scumbag John Calipari as head coach. He is a slimy,dirty squid. He will cheat until he is in the grave and will probably find a way to cheat from beyond the grave. I hate that bastard.

whats that? UK = United Kingdom? This isnt the ESPN board? AH CRAP............nevermind......... :?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 #82653  by Harvestwind
 Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm
Yes I'm sure many Dead fans in the UK have similar concerns about the Kentucky Wildcats. As an Australian Deadhead I would not even consider attending one of their games.
 #82673  by G'Dad
 Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 am
Hi Shady,

a very rare beast indeed!!

I caught the shows at the Rainbow theater in '81 and have never been the same since!!

I'm in Nottinghamshire how about you?

G'dad