name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #72784  by Ripple69

Howdy ya'll. Im a college kid from Indiana University. I dont know how to explain my love for GD other than that every night i go to bed, a little part of me dies knowing that i will never get to see them play live EVER with Jerry. Its sad but i constantly think about what it would be like to go to one show really experience the grateful dead. I always enjoy my dads stories about past concertsm especially when he saw them at red rocks. I'm not one of those younger kids that got into them because they do drugs and think that because they do drugs they should like the dead, like a lot of kids nowadays, but i've been in love with their music the first second i heard box of rain on American Beauty that my dad gave to me. I envy every single one of you that ever got see em play live. Living vicariously though videos, dvds, and stories from my dad and others kind of sucks but its the best i can do. I havent had a chance to see an incarnation of the remaining dead but i hope to see further soon. Everytime i listen to them i cant help but get the biggest smile on my face, they make me so happy. all in all, i will never get to be a true head since i never got the chance see them, but damn id love to be.

That rant aside, i play drums piano guitar and mandolin, and my favorite type of dead song would have to be any bluegrassy, old-timey, and accoustic one, but i still love all of them. I enjoy going to music festivals and camping out before and after concerts. I like pretty much all music so if you have a good band shoot me the website address and i will probably like them. MY favorite part of the year is camping out before a dave matthews concert. he plays two shows near where i live, and i love walking arounds to all the old heads and hearing their stories of past concerts, makes me all warm inside. Anyway, the spirit of the grateful dead will always live on from decades, as seen with myself and i know i will pass them on to my kids. hope to learn a lot on here about the dead that dont know yet!
-erch :cool:
 #72790  by jackr

Ahh... Jerry at Red Rocks. Some good memories. (what is left of my memory that is)

Anyway, Welcome to the forum. Dont worry about not being a "true" head. That term is very subjective and would make a good thread on its own about what a "true" head is. But as far as I am concerned if you love the dead better then any other band and have great knowledge of their music, you are a true head to me!

You can look at the positive and be happy you never saw them. That just means you are young and not an old fart like me!
 #72817  by jack-A-roe

hey hoosier! my dad's a hoosier and i used to reside in northern indiana. heard bloomington is the jem of indiana...i couldn't stand it up north.

i'm new around here too, so all i can only tell you that there are a lot of really knowledgeble and cool folks hanging around here.

keep on pickin' :peas: