name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #58724  by EsteemedLocomotive

Been coming to this site for a few years now, either for chords, news, or archive, figure its about time to register. I've been playing for 5 years now, almost solely on a 70's model Epiphone Acoustic. I never really thought about wheter I favor playing Bobby or Jerry songs more. Hmmm. I guess I know more BW songs but they also tend to be less complex as well huh? I'm pretty instinct driven and like finding grooves, and Minglewood, Mr.Charlie, Not Fade Away-GDTRFB, Dancin' in the Street are FUN STUFF! As for Jerry tunes I am still in the attempt process of Scarlet Begonias, Wharf Rat, and Black Peter.

I live in Southern Maryland, and there is not much of a scene here if youknow what I mean.
 #58746  by EsteemedLocomotive

bodiddley wrote:Whereabouts in Southern Maryland? I use to be stationed in Indian Head (Like 20 yrs. ago).
I live about 5 minutes north of there off 210! Bryans Road man, nowhere!
 #58753  by bodiddley

Wow. So even 20 yrs. later there' still nothing there at the end of the highway to hell (210) ? I spent 3 yrs. there and then moved to Germantown, MD. for a bit. Saw some awesome GD shows at RFK and former Cap Centre while I Was stationed there. Talk about surreal...coming back on base after a Dead show with you buddies all wound up ready to party all night. I had some great times there.
 #58758  by EsteemedLocomotive

we have like 4 liquor stores, a McDs, A Safeway, A bar and a movie theater... I have a tape of the last RFK show (i think it was last it was early '95 w/traffic)
 #58762  by kenneybonz

hey now loco.. i am richmond va contingency but do a lot of work in dc area.. not so much so md, though i drive 301 all the time.. beautiful place to live though.. way ta go...
down hyeah they are still stuck in the civil war, which ain't all THAT bad, but ..
great shows at the 930 are within reach though.. we are going to see leanord cohen there in may,. and DSO comes through there and dewey and bmore all the time too..
one of my friends turned me on to a crazy festival in bmore in june.. you can find it under Lotus on jamband, i'd bet, but it's even got a metal head day... all sorts of music...
anyway, we count ourselves as beltway folk..
funny you mention the liquor stores, i have an inventive aunt who pioneered 24 hour liquort stores till that got stopped by law later on, so she sold those and bought an empty school and opened 24 hour Rehab WITH babysitting.. I always love how the indian head community embraced that despite the obvious irony...
peace.. tk
 #58772  by wisedyes

Greetings! I am living down in Richmond VA as well these days, but am from Baltimore originally and still know many heads up that way. As for the DC area, there has to be a scene there, with the U of MD and Takoma Park - not to mention all the damn Obama hippies overrunning Washington nowadays lol.

Trust me, it's there, you just gotta poke around. Try posting "looking to jam" ad on the DC Craigslist - specifically mention the Dead as what you like to play. See what pops up. And pay attention to the ratdog / DSO/ Phil tour schedules; they all play the DC area venues all the time. Go to shows and talk to folks.
 #58775  by Chuckles

If ya live in SoMD, you sometimes gotta drive to get to the jams. I lived in California, MD, then Solomons Island and Lusby for about 7 years and spent much of that doing a twice-weekly commute to Clarksburg, MD for practices. NEVER again! :roll:
 #58784  by bodiddley

I don't know anything about you or your life but hearing IndianHead is still as Po-dunk as it was when I was there 20 yrs. ago kinda broke my heart. Those people that live there would probably have nothing if it weren't for the Naval Base (and they've tried to shut it down a couple of times).
All I can say is that if you are truly unhappy there then try and get out any way you can and discover the world. I got to meet and befriend plenty of locals when I was there and often wonder how many of them got out or still live there and what/how they are doing these days. I still wouldn't trade the 3 yrs. I spent there for anything. We always found ways to have fun (even though many were illegal). Oh well, The best of luck to you!
 #58805  by EsteemedLocomotive

Thanks everybody! I know the Baltimore scene a bit, and the Anapolis has Dead Jams at The Whisky, but no real DC scene to speak of, and getting out and about is difficult, i spend my time racing between work, kids, and school. I have a few friends to jam with that like Dead tunes, but that happens only few times a year because one lives in Garrett Co. and the other is trying to make ends in DC. Its just nice to have some other heads to talk to, speaking of which, how do you make the smiley with the bong?