name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #42946  by Jon S.

Greetings from Fairfax, VA. Found the forum in the context of searching for some needed info. on neck-through guitar designs. Looks quite cool here, hope to stick around!

I've been fortunate to have caught a gaggle of great many Dead shows in my day (around 30 or so over the years). Have been playing guitar for a long time. No longer interested in a formal band but host regular jam sessions at my place where we play much Dead, among many other bands' music.

#42947  by Jon S.

If the error message I got at first is correct, I'll be allowed to post my introductory Jerrycaster pics in my next post.

#42948  by Jon S.

OK, let's see if it works now ...

Here are some pics of my 1st Jerrycaster. I'm smack in the middle of a second project that is going to be much more advanced than even the 1st. Have some questions in that regard I hope to post elsewhere and look forward to your input & suggestions. :-)

#42951  by Tennessee Jedi

Very Nice !
Welcome !
Is the neck and body Warmoth ?

:cool:

#42953  by Jon S.

Yes indeed!

On the new project, it is looking like both the body and neck will be carved directly from new lumber. At least that's the current plan for the body. My guitar tech and I still discussing the neck. He has proposed crafting me a new, neck-through-body, sandwich design neck to which we'd attach mahogany wings overlaid with maple veneers (to create accent lines) overlaid with a set of bookmatched cocobolo top and back.

I've already selected the cocobolo for the guitar from a plank I copped from an exotic hardwood supplier specially for this guitar. I'm having a Tiger inlay oval in the works for me by an incredible luthier/inlay artist on the west coast (below is an example of his work on one of his own guitars). It's a blast experiencing these projects unfold!

#42957  by Tennessee Jedi

Is your guitar in the gallery of guitars @ Warmoth?
Looks like a great job !
Keep posting pics Dude.
:cool:

#42958  by Jon S.

Not in the Warmoth gallery but it is posted on the Lindy Fralin Pickups site (it uses a pair of Unbuckers with a Steel Pole 43 in the middle).

Well, if you really want another pic, here's one of when Jerry and I were jamming back in '76 or so (Photoshop - it's a dangerous thing :oops: ) ... :lol:

#42959  by old man down

You've got to get the trippy inlay that Garcia had on his fingerboard. And I think Jerry had LED fingerboard position markers, which would make things so easy in dimly lit situations.

Welcome to the forum.

#42960  by Tennessee Jedi

Thats great Jon ...
some good chuckles from that one...
:smile:

#42961  by strumminsix

welcome! beautiful guitar!

#42963  by Jon S.

Thanks though I have to say, the next one will be upgraded in many ways even from the first one.

Along those lines, old man down, I already have in hand for the new Jerrycaster a fine Jack of Roses (i.e., Brian Nalls) ebony fretboard inlaid w/those very same trippy inlays. It's ready to be glued to the new neck as soon as my tech and I figure out whether, this time, to go bolt-on, set, or neck-through. :smile:

#42964  by st stephen

very nice....looks great!!!

#42965  by Jon S.

Further in the introductory vein, thought I'd also post these pics of two of my Reverend axes. :D

#42966  by Tennessee Jedi

About how does the Wolf inlay cost if you dont mind me asking ?
It comes assembled and it pops in ?
:smile:

#42969  by frankielee

Nice Ax! Cool photo of you and Mr. Garcia :cool: Welcome!