When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #48430  by supermoose

Hey everyone, I'm about to get a new puppy which is a male and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a grateful dead name for the dog...could be anything from a song to a person something significant.

Thanks

#48432  by Emoto

what kind of dog is he?

#48433  by jck_strw

Funny you should mention that. My wife and I just got a new pup last week. We went down the list of Dead tabs on the site and we hit on Aiko. Lots of others though.

Alligator
Dupree
Cassidy
Cosmic Charlie
McGee
Jed

etc. etc.

#48435  by pappypgh

THE most overused pet/child GD name is Cassidy. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, use ANYTHING ELSE. A small list, if you will(feel free to condense them into nicknames, too) :

FOR MALES:

August West
Black Peter
Stagger Lee
One Eyed Jack
Tennessee Jed
Big Boy Pete
Hunter
Garcia
Jerry
Bob
Weir
Mickey
Billy
Phil
Lesh
Pigpen
TC
Barlow
Stephen
Lightning
Bolt
Bear
Ace
Gideon
Franklin
Hippie
Rosebud
Tiger
Wolf
Top Hat
Skullfuck (just kidding)

Too many from which to choose. My real suggestion would be to find the song that's most special to you and draw from there.

"Heeeeere, Skullfuck! Come here, boy!"

#48438  by supermoose

west white highland terrier

i was thinking jack straw? if it were a girl she definately would have been althea...anyway suggestions are welcome.

#48442  by China Cat

kinda looks like bobby...

tennessee jed
mr. charlie/cosmic charlie
jack straw
saint stephen
casey jones
black peter
Bobby macgee
otis (bobs dogs name)
any band members name
catfish john
uncle john
jack-a-roe
dupree
sampson
king solomon

#48443  by bucketorain

our hound dog mix's name is BANJO.

I like Bones as well.

or try D-ogee, d.o.g. de ooh gee

#48444  by supermoose

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:Rat Dog
I would definately call this dog that, but my parent's dog, a cairn terrier )same dog more or less but a different color), i already call that even though his name is ziggy....it would just confuse him when this little guy comes home.

I like sampson, i wasn't sure if a name that is two words, eg. casey jones, would be practical or not for the dog.

#48452  by FretfulDave

Years ago, I named a cat "Layla", of course for the Dominoes song.

Our family dog of 17 1/2 years was named Loosey... a reference of course to "Loose Lucy".

Dave

#48453  by Emoto

I read somewhere that dogs respond best to names with a hard consonant as the first sound in the name. Just something to consider.

I always take an animal's personality into account when I name one. Hard to do from way over here.

#48463  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

+1 on the hard consonant thing.

I have had dogs my entire 35 years of existence, that meaning I have never not had a dog. My friends who get dogs always ask me to help train their dogs, I guess I have mad skeels or something.

Anyway, hard consonant, one syllable names (two at tops) are the best for getting a dog to learn his name and respond when you say it. That being said, it isn't essential to a dog's training, it just helps make it easier.

Westies are a pretty smart breed so you can probably call him whatever you want.

Looking at the picture he looks like a Mason to me.

#48465  by pappypgh

Just an FYI - there's no "P" in Samson

#48471  by williamo

We bought a husky pup 3 months ago, the third we've owned. Samson was on my list. 'Monroe' was my top choice, but the kids won out with their pick of 'Ambrose', named after the university my wife and I went to. McLovin' didn't make the cut either!

#48516  by supermoose

well I got the dog today and named him Samson...hopefully he turns out to be a nice little fella, he seems like he will.