When it doesn't fit anywhere else

#35661  by bucketorain

If there is a free soundboard available online of a show that has been turned into a Dick's Picks and I download it am I a theif?
Understand that reputable sites will have rules against uploading commercially released shows....the company in charge of the commmercial releases for the dead will not put a show on the Net for free. If you download a show that has been released commercially you need to do a gut check and deal with your conscience.

#35662  by AugustWest

I believe we had a thread similar to this one once about david grisham taking his video's off of youtube. My position has always been behind the artist. It's their music, their intellectual property, and they should be able to control how it is distributed. Now sometimes my actions make me a little hypocritical. I'll admit that. I own a large collection of shows. Most of it are from trading shows person to person before the archive. But however it was done, I own a lot of SBD of shows that after I owned them turned into dick's picks. I admit I didn't buy those dick's picks. When the archive came up I did download shows I didn't have, I assumed the dead were ok with the music being up on the archive so I didn't feel bad about it. I didn't throw out those soundboards after it got shutdown. I buy almost everything the dead put out, which may be a rationlization but whatever they've had and still have my monetary support.

I would never download something that has been released (album,movie,show, or anything) I remember in the last thread (grisham thread) that there were a lot of people that thought everything should be free. It's nice to see that most on here now understand the artists side of things.

#35663  by oconnors_35

Funny story, I was in Dublin Ireland once on vacation during the 90's and my girlfriends cousin who lives there said "I have U2's new CD" (I think it was POP). She said she got it from Dick Evens (whom she worked with) who is the brother of Dave Evans (The Edge). It was a CDR copy.... I thought it was funny, I said "The Edges's brother burned you a copy!" ...The CD was already released.

SeanO

#35705  by devoarlo9

in a very interesting bit of timing, i watched a video and a tv show today that were both provoking, but i didn't think had anything to do with one another. But after reading all of these wonderful insights and different points of view i now see a link. the video was a downloaded torrent of "End of the Road", detailing the final months of Jerry and the Dead, the Deadhead culture, and sadly enough, the tragic events of Deerfield. so yes, i watched a pirated version of a movie about people pirating a dead show. the tv program was on the history channel detailing both the genius behind, and the revelations of, the ancient mayan calender. essentially coming to the conclusion that all of time is cyclical and repeats itself, and that all civilizations have both risen and fallen due to greed.

#35882  by LazyLightnin

I agree with the notion of not downloading officially released shows. seems kinda silly to download it when you can just go out and buy it. i wanna download the hidden gems, and the shows i really like based upon personal preference.

what confuses me is that i have hundreds of shows i downloaded from the archive (sbds) before it went down. so do i destroy those shows? or keep them to myself and not distribute them? there are people out there that have the entire archive on extrenal harddrives. including the shows that were taken off before the shit hit the fan.

it also seems kinda silly that we would be able to stream the sbds still, when that keeps it so easy to aquire them by certain methods, and im not talking torrents.

all in all there are far more important things in the world to get all deep and philisophical about.
and thats why i continue to download.