When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #29657  by steve

as far as instructional videos go, these gotta be close to the top. homespun has tapes for a variety of instruments as well as a many different styles for those instruments.

a lot of well known guys have videos here; Jorma has a few, as does Peter Rowan, just to name a couple. if anything, the site is worth browsing around. the videos aren't the cheapest, but what you get is well worth the price, in my opinion.

check 'em out!

http://www.homespuntapes.com/

#29739  by wisedyes

Yep, totally agree with you. All the ones I've ever bought or viewed are actually ( gasp ) INSTRUCTIONAL in nature, as opposed to many guitar dvd's or videos that are more along the lines of show off features.

I own Jorma's 3 dvd acoustic set, Mike Dowlings 2 dvd set, and the Mike DeMicco 3 tape jazz guitar set. Way more useful info in each one than what they cost.

#29809  by steve

i was actually thinking about ordering one of jorma's tapes. i think i'd like to get the one with hesitation blues, not sure at the moment though. how are the other ones you own? i think i may get a couple on this next purchase

#29840  by razmablues

i just got Tony's Choice: Licks, Kickoffs and Solos taught by Tony Rice.

i'm trying to start learning bluegrass music and this is a giant catalyst for me. Great instructions.

#29951  by steve

i'll look into that rice one

i was also thinking about getting the peter rowan one on singing and playing rhythm. the sample video on the site looked pretty good

#29953  by wisedyes

Steve - I like the Jorma ones very much, and think that the one containing "Hesitation Blues" is the best of the three. They are good at teaching you the physical way Jorma approaches tunes and arrangements. This is to say that they are kind of weak in say the theoretical area of what he is doing and why.

However, if you get these and really apply the techniques he is showing on them, they can absolutely develop your right hand technique by leaps and bounds.

#33699  by steve

So I got that Jorma one with Hesitation Blues for Christmas. I'm working on the West Coast Blues that starts it off, and I gotta tell ya, my right hand feels almost as awkward as my left did when I first starting playing. But with the little I've done with it so far I can already notice some improvements. Can't wait for a few months down the line when I'm better at this. These tapes are great!!