rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #14147  by BlobWeird
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:23 pm
Hey guys Ive really been gettin into the blues lately and am looking for some more musicians. So far the only few I listen to are Freddie King, BB King, Albert King (all three kings hah) and John Lee Hooker. Any others that are really good? Any that maybe Jerry was influenced by? I really hear the influence Freddie had on Jerry's music especially when listenin to JGB. So any others he might have picked up some licks from would be good for me.

#14148  by confusions_prince
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:25 pm
Muddy Waters, man.

#14149  by tigerstrat
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:29 pm
McKinley Morganfield (Muddy Waters)
Robert Johnson
Son House
Leadbelly
Willie Dixon
Chester Burnett (Howlin' Wolf)
Rev. Gary Davis (and by extension, Jorma Kaukonen)
Lighnin' Hopkins
T-Bone Walker
Louis Jordan
Albert Collins
Taj Mahal
Honeyboy Edwards
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown...
JIMI HENDRIX

#14151  by China Cat
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:43 pm
in addition to whats already been mentioned, stevie ray vaughan

#14152  by bodiddley
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:47 pm
I recommend you go check out Joe Bonamassa sometime...the guy is a fantastic blues guitarist.

#14154  by devil
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:02 pm
No surprises here...

Buddy Guy
Junior Wells
Peter Green
John Mayall

are my favorites.

#14155  by BlobWeird
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:04 pm
thanks guys. I just went and downloaded a crap load of artists. McKinley Morganfield though huh? I never knew his real name. I heard a country blues album of Jorma's not too long ago. Its good stuff. Does he do electric? And I saw Taj Mahal when I was downloaded and was skeptical but they/he are/is good huh?

#14157  by ronster
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 pm
Taj Mahal has some great stuff. Look for his early stuff in particular his frst album with ry cooder and elvin bishop.
IMO stay away from hot tuna's electric stuff. Get their first untitled "live" album which is mostly Jorma playing acoustic Gary Davis stuff.
John Mooney. Amazing slide guitarist with the N'orlens blues sound.
John Mayall "Jazz blues fusion" is one of the greatest albums ever put out. Fast fingers fredy robinson on guitar and the horn players are amazing.
The Allman Brothers "Live at the filmore east" is a must have blues rock album. Duane's blues slide guitar on that is as god as it gets.
Muddy Waters is the blues.

#14159  by Chief5959
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:17 pm
Luther Allison or Son Seals both great 2nd generation bluesmen. Robert Cray is a fine player with a really different approach to soloing. For acoustic stuff try Mississippi John Hurt, very laid back and mellow stuff.

#14164  by hotasaPistol
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:00 pm
Johnny freakin Winter.........

#14170  by GratefulFloyd
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:11 pm
i like Mississsippi John Hurt

#14171  by mmarconi
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:19 pm
HUBERT SUMLIN!!!! his work w/ Howlin Wolf...There are some licks Jerry stole outright!

#14172  by caspersvapors
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:32 pm
ROY FUCKING BUCHANAN

this guy influenced everyone in the early 70s including Jerry, the guy is incredible and one of the few virtuoso blues musicians

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h7i-coum-4k

I love SRV and Jimi Hendrix's blues stuff too
also Robert Johnson

#14178  by golfnutt
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:42 pm
Also check out Earl Hooker (John's cousin I belive) He is way underated and a great player.

#14179  by KaCey0211
 Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:21 pm
I would add the late, great Mike Bloomfield to the list, of Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Electric Flag and Bob Dylan's going electric at the Newport Folk Festival fame.

You can see him perform "Drinkin' Wine Spodee-Odee" on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRXnyUWktg

There are others, too.