When it doesn't fit anywhere else

#13944  by jdasa

You don't sound like an asshole, and I don't feel dissed....

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years for spiritual, environmental, ethical and health reasons (probably in that order).

But since this issue can be way more divisive than, say, how bad was Vince, or when is cheesy too cheesy for Bobby Weir, I'll refrain from preaching here. If you want to know more, BigJilm (or anyone else), send me a PM.

The point of my post was not to try to convert anyone (perhaps the use of the word "radical" was not the best choice), but simply to say the Krishna Lunch at the University of Florida is dankest fast food I've ever had at a price that can't be beat.

But I want to add that I'm often surprised by how many heads are meat-eaters. This doesn't bother me too much-- if anything it reiterates that point that the Grateful Dead is first and foremost about great music. Any ideology that has developed from the music is really not too relevant... :smile:

#13986  by amyjared

bigjilm,
you make some great points. I have been a vegetarian in some way shape or form for about 25 years. I even went through being vegan and macrobiotic. At first I preached it like it was nobody's business. I was that annoying hippier-than-thou person we all can't deal with. Now I usually avoid the discussion and tell people I'm allergic (that way they don't question my deal).
The truth is that I feel everyone should eat whatever they are comfortable eating. My body doesn't do well with red meat or chicken or pig. My wife and kids chow on it and do fine with it. Lately, I'm more concerned with organic than vegetarian (another can of worms altogether). My point is that there are many reasons to be a vegetarian (or not) and you should get to know them both. Just my two cents.

PS. Although it's kinds stupid, I always liked what Tom Robbins said: "When an animal dies, for whatever reason, their glands release fear throughout the body...and I want to eat as little fear as possible."
 #93812  by Mick

Wow, this thread came back from the dead! yuk yuk yuk

Well, as long as I am adding to the post count:

Taco Bell: The food tastes bad, costs a lot, and they don't give you very much of it. I have been to one maybe 4-5 times, and never got the point. I'd be surprised if I ever went back.

McDonald's: I can admit this to myself: I have a bad weakness for Sausage McMuffins with egg. They have a power over me that I cannot control. The only way I can have any semblance of control is to avoid them altogether. I have been clean for nearly two months now. I'm just taking it day by day. That said, I don't care much for their burgers, and as I have gotten on in years, eating one when on the road has become a high-risk action, if you know what I mean.

Burger King: I used to work there, and contrary to popular belief, everyone there made a substantial effort to keep everything clean, and throw out food that had been sitting too long. I haven't eaten their food in a while, but wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Wendy's: I used to love their hamburgers because they tasted like real meat. I had one a couple of weeks ago, and it was incredibly salty and very overcooked. It occurred to me that the last time I had been there, it was the same way. It'll be a while before I go back.

White Castle: The first two times I had it, I was piss drunk, and loved it. I had their hamburgers when I was sober back in 1987, I have yet to return.

Pizza Hut: I have a hard time thinking of Pizza Hut as NOT fast food. In fact, I'm sure some people would have a hard time calling that food "pizza". As much as it is a greasy cheap cheesy mess, somehow I like it. I'd bet it is nutritionally and healthfully one of the worst choices out there, but somehow having a mouth full of cheese, sausage, onions, mushrooms and garlic with grease sliding down my chin is soooo gooooood. I try to keep it down to about once per year.

I have no problem with vegetarians, I just don't want to be one.
 #93815  by vwjodyme

Back in the touring days I would live off of $0.29 bean burritos from taco bell or sometimes splurge for the $0.59 7 layer burrito. and that would be it for the day...no wonder i was so skinny :lol:

Wow, the krishna lunch in gainsville brings back some memories, but back then it was free. We only ate it a couple times tho because the rumor was it made your wee wee shrink :lol:
 #93816  by tcsned

I tried the vegetarian thing once but it wasn't for me - I like BBQ too much! As the wife and I try to watch calories as much as possible I try to avoid fast food but still fall prey to its convenience every now and then (like today as I am working in Bluefield, WV and didn't bring a lunch). I married the best southern cook on the planet so eating out, even in good restaurants, is never as good as home. I like small diners more than fast food chains - The Texas Tavern in Lynchburg, VA is one that sticks out - great "Cheesy Westerns" and chili-dogs!

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend watching "Food, Inc." it is a good look at our food industry and spotlights a great small farm just up the road in the Shenandoah Valley. We have a great Farmer's Market that sells local produce (some organic, some not) and beef from a guy who raises grass-fed cattle (much healthier than corn-fed). We do some organics but don't waste the extra $$ on supermarket organic produce since it comes from big agro-industry schmucks too and I am dubious of it. Penn and Teller did a great episode on organic food on the show "Bullshit" that's interesting - though I can't vouch for its accuracy or lack of bias. But the taste test they conducted in hilarious.
 #93822  by JonnyBoy

I have a horrible weakness for side of the road hot boiled peanuts made by a certain redneck cajun I can barely understand verbally. we may only speak a few words between us either of us comprehend, but we do speak the untold love of cajun style boiled peanuts, and that is enough for us :hd: .
 #93823  by tcsned

JonnyBoy wrote:I have a horrible weakness for side of the road hot boiled peanuts made by a certain redneck cajun I can barely understand verbally. we may only speak a few words between us either of us comprehend, but we do speak the untold love of cajun style boiled peanuts, and that is enough for us :hd: .
lol - I think I used to work on his hillbilly cousin's chainsaw - some people should come with subtitles :lol: Love me some roadside food!
 #93825  by JonnyBoy

The best story I have was when I first moved here, there is a mom and Pop country store with the old school gas pumps on the bayou up the road from my house. Its the kind of place you don't have to pay for things, you can write your own ticket and slide it in the file box under your name (for locals) and pay your tab as needed. I was in there shootin' shit about fishing, when a dude comes running in yelling and freaking out about just hitting a deer up the road. He asked for some help, so me and another guy gave him a lift about 1/4 mile up the road, assuming he wanted a tow to the store.

I started getting the tow chain out of the tool box on my truck when he said," Naw man, I don't need a tow, I just need some help lifting the deer into my truck!" My first Road kill becomes dinner experience in Mississippi.

Then the question, " I wonder who processes deer in the off season...." I guess it was fresh, until then I have only heard of that happening in a funny story like this. I guess you could call that, "Fast Food". :lol:
 #93826  by tcsned

JonnyBoy wrote:The best story I have was when I first moved here, there is a mom and Pop country store with the old school gas pumps on the bayou up the road from my house. Its the kind of place you don't have to pay for things, you can write your own ticket and slide it in the file box under your name (for locals) and pay your tab as needed. I was in there shootin' shit about fishing, when a dude comes running in yelling and freaking out about just hitting a deer up the road. He asked for some help, so me and another guy gave him a lift about 1/4 mile up the road, assuming he wanted a tow to the store.

I started getting the tow chain out of the tool box on my truck when he said," Naw man, I don't need a tow, I just need some help lifting the deer into my truck!" My first Road kill becomes dinner experience in Mississippi.

Then the question, " I wonder who processes deer in the off season...." I guess it was fresh, until then I have only heard of that happening in a funny story like this. I guess you could call that, "Fast Food". :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fast and fresh - great combination! Reminds me of the joke we like to tell about our cousins to the west. How many West Virginian's does it take to eat a possum? 3, one to eat and two to look out for cars :-)
 #93827  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:I tried the vegetarian thing once but it wasn't for me - I like BBQ too much!
yeah man ... we have a local rib joint - the guy is from N.C. and his ribs are awesome.
Fast Food - I have a real weakness for hamburgers. I am trying to cut out as much red meat as possible. .. only had 8 burgers since New Years so I'm doing better .... getting fat n old.
But - dag - I love a burger
:D
 #93828  by Grateful Dad

#1 - Cotija Taco 3720 Voltaire Street, San Diego.

A day at Ocean Beach :D and then some excellent low priced Mexican fast food, rolled tacos with homemade guacamole with a couple cold frosty's. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

:-)

#2 - Whooley's Rib Joint, Chestnut and Mt Pleasant Avenues Ambler, PA. Best ribs I've ever had. Awesome sauce.

8)
 #93853  by JonnyBoy

This is actually a pretty funny thread starting when bill mentioned we would talk about almost anything around here, then Shakedown mentioned KFC has genetically engineered chickens that have no heads or feathers, thus having to legally change their name to KFC. :lol: now that was funny....

Then to how high of a bar to set when talking about which place is better than another in the fast food joint world. FWIW I would have to consider pizza a fast food in some places, since you can grab a slice that is already made at most pizza places that are worth a damn in good pizza towns.

Yes BBQ is awesome and plentiful here too, and since my local BBQ place is on my mind another fast food has come to mind served at the same establishment,1/2 dozen Tomallies with Saltines and hot sauce.

If anyone is interested in how to make some awesome pulled Pork BBQ let me know, its one of my wife's family secret recipes!! Its really not that hard, and you will have enough BBQ for an army.
 #93868  by tcsned

JonnyBoy wrote: If anyone is interested in how to make some awesome pulled Pork BBQ let me know, its one of my wife's family secret recipes!! Its really not that hard, and you will have enough BBQ for an army.
there's some pretty awesome BBQ here too - do you do tomato based or vinegar based sauce? My wife makes a killer vinegar/Carolina style sauce but I'm a fan of it all. I'm always up for a new recipe - can't wait for the Spring thaw so I can fire up the smoker!
 #93881  by Mick

tcsned wrote:I'm always up for a new recipe - can't wait for the Spring thaw so I can fire up the smoker!
Why wait for spring? I BBQ 12 months out of the year! It was tough this year because I was on crutches when we got 32 inches of snow. But my wife shoveled the deck for me and freed the BBQ! I am an all charcoal guy too BTW. Ribs, burgers, steaks, chicken, fish, sausages, shrimp, when the BBQ is smokin', it's a good time to be a carnivore!