rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #12822  by Jimkkc
 Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:32 am
Just picked up Live at the Fitzgerald CD last night at a used book store - can't believe someone would get rid of this for the measley 25 cents most used book stores give you for used cd's. I was in Minnesota when the wu started out and have forgotten just how much I liked them (haven't heard them or seen one of their shows since leaving Minnesota in 1999).

In light of the recent thread concerning DSO, I thought I would add that the wu "sound" like the dead but only with original material (of course, there is the requisite and occasional dead cover). By sound, I mean to say that these guys have a crystal clarity to their tones and sounds, the grooves they hit are very dead-like, and just the overall feel is dead like. Long story short, if you haven't heard these guys, "Live at the Fitzgerald Theatre" is a good place to start.

Don't know what they are currently up to, but the above CD (circa 2001) was a good snap shot of the band I remember seeing many years ago . . . happy listening to whatever is on your ipod, in your cd player, 8trac . . .

#12959  by HOWEYMAN
 Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:14 am
I seen these guys once in Royal Oak Michigan when Strangefolk opened. I had never heard their music until that night. Liked them so much after the show I picked up the CD you are taliking about on the way out. I actually just listened that disc yesterday. Jazz88 and Oxygen are awesome.

#12978  by Jimkkc
 Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:04 pm
Hey Howeyman - glad you like that cd - I can remember seeing these guys at the 1st and 2nd Big Wu Family Reunion - fun times under early Minnesota skies surrounded by kind folks and festival atmosphere.

If you really like the wu, you might do some digging around for a band called Mango Jam - Mango was a band based in Minneapolis and was on the college circuit and early jam band scene in the early 90's. Mango was a huge influence on the wu. Minneapolis in the early 90's had a pretty groovy jam scene . . .

#12980  by abspatz
 Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 pm
for a 1st time listener, would you reccomend Folktales or the Live disc you're talking about? I'm listening to both on itunes now and i'm sold!

#12986  by Jimkkc
 Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:11 am
abspatz - unfortunately, I couldn't telly you - I lost track of these guys when we moved away from Minnesota in 1999. When I bought the "Live at the Fitzgerald" disk, it was the first time I listened to them in 4-5 years, so I don't really know what they have been up to lately. That said, as with most good jam bands, the live albums are always a good start. That said, these guys - imo - tend to write "better" songs then most of the jam bands out there, so you probably can't go wrong with a studio disk either.

You might also check archive.org for shns that are out there - I downloaded a few a couple years back and of course, if they ever get to you neck of the woods, I highly reccommend catching them live.

Happy listening . . .

#12989  by strumminsix
 Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:50 am
Aren't the Wu done? Seem I remember the rumors...

#12991  by Jimkkc
 Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 am
strumminsix - I checked their web site out of curiosity. They did play a set of New Year's shows, but the rest of the page looks pretty vague relative to upcoming shows. Like I said before, I haven't followed or seen them for quite a long time, so I really wouldn't know one way or the other. If they are done, then it is indeed a sad day in jamville, but such is the nature of a beast that thrives on playing small clubs, bars, and small festivals . . .

#12992  by HOWEYMAN
 Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:53 am
Anyone know where to find some live shows on the web? I remember searching a year ago or something and couldn't come up with much. I don't believe every concert of theirs is taped?

#12993  by Jimkkc
 Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:03 am
Howeyman - check archive.org. From what I can tell, there are the ususal different download formats and reviews . . . happy downloading