Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #11099  by jck_strw
 Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:35 pm
I just thought of this idea today, so I wasn't really planning ahead. But anyhow, I thought it would be a cool xmas gift to have a picture frame with a pic of me playing the guitar and then have audio attached to it of me playing/singing/etc. Obviously this will be a hot xmas gift for everyone here. :)

The first thing I thought of was those digital picture frames they have and I looked into that but...screw that. They're waaaay too expensive. So then I started looking into building my own digital picture frame, but that's unnecessarily complex for what I want. I don't want to have dozens of photos cycling, upload capabilities, MP3, etc. So now I'm looking for a cheaper/simpler solution.

I was thinking about back in the day, they used to sell those greeting cards with a little speaker/chip in it. You could record like 15 seconds of audio ("Congrats on being herpes free for a year!") and when the card opened, the audio would play. Something like that little thing, attached to the back of a picture frame.

So how would I go about this? Any DIYers here? Do they still make those cards? I could probably just buy a card and pull the thing out, but I remember them being really small in capacity. I'd want like a minute or so of audio. Can you buy those things little speaker chip thingies at Radio Shack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#11107  by waldo041
 Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:34 pm
may need to design your own frame with a location for a button, but this should do what you need. ... age=search

#11108  by jck_strw
 Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm
Yes!! Perfect, although it's only 20 seconds. I'm sure mrs. jck_strw will not want to listen to more than 20 seconds of me singing, so this may work out.

Nice job waldo. Thanks.

#11126  by hesgone95
 Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 am
Wow jck_strw, I want one for xmas...I think it would become my most cherised possesion..... :lol:

note the undercurrent sarcasm :-)

#11129  by jck_strw
 Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:20 am
Don't worry. I'll be making one for every member on this board.

If I had thought of it in time, I'm sure it would've been the "hot" present of the holiday season.