When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #10388  by pinkfloyd188

ive been studying different music styles recently, and i can't help but notice that i haven't seen any female guitarists. anyone know of any good female guitarists, mainly jam band, bluegrass, country, jazz and classic rock? i'd be interested in hearing how they play since y'know, i havent seen any bigtime bands with a female, rhythm or lead. thanks in advance

#10390  by otherones90210

Susan Tedeschi

#10391  by strumminsix

#10392  by tigerstrat

Joni Mitchell

#10393  by amyjared

Ani DiFranco
Patti Smith
Chrissie Hynde
And my fave is this beautiful African American woman I see playing for Paul Shaffer on Letterman. She rocks! Anyone know anything about her??

#10395  by Rev_Roach

BONNIE RAITT! Great blues player
 #10396  by lyghtningod

Nancy Wilson can play guitar pretty damn well.
Anita Cochran, though I haven't heard much about her, can handle a Tele. She's country, but can play well.
Elizabeth Cotton, on acoustic guitar.

And Bonnie Raitt, absolutely.

#10397  by tigerstrat

Rickie Lee Jones is a very accomplished guitarist.

PJ Harvey!!

#10403  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Feist - Haven't seen her in person but from what I have seen she can definitely play, I also appreciate her Jerry-esque Guild Starfire. And she happens to be hot as well which is never a bad thing.

#10404  by spilly

I'm gonna go with Jack on this one. I saw Kaki King live a few years ago and she really blew my mind. Her style is so original it almost hurts

#10407  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

The Kaki King stuff is pretty cool, not exactly music I can dance to, but she is ridiculously talented nonetheless. Here is a clip of Feist on Carson Daly. I think I am in love with her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZ1Gd5qjc4

Note the Guild Starfire. Love a chick with a semi-hollow.

#10408  by Shaggy

Judee Sill
Maybelle Carter

and the queen of them all:

Memphis Minnie.

#10411  by hotasaPistol

Jewel smokes and then some !

#10412  by pinkfloyd188

good stuff.

kaki king reminds me of keller with all the tapping and making all his sounds himself.

though what did it for me was Feist's voice. amazing!

i guess its just being so accustomed to seeing male guitarists that a talented female guitar player has such a differnt play style. pretty cool nonetheless