rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #10211  by Benthegoodbum
 Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:01 pm
So I just downloaded Becks new album and plan on buying it when I have the money thanks to the do-it-yourself cd cover. It's called The Information, I haven't listened to it all yet...in fact I'm only 3 songs into it. So far it is everything I imagined a new Beck album to be...fresh, hip, fun, and just plain wonderful. I was wondering if any of you cats have happened to listen to the album or plan on in the near future?

#10216  by phreaker
 Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:29 pm
I'm the biggest Beck fan you'll ever come across.

What other albums of his does it sound like?

#10224  by Benthegoodbum
 Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:19 pm
Well I've read that it is a cross between Guero and Sea Change. I feel like it's got that oddness to it that Guero did, but I definitely feel it's better than Guero. I'm not really good at comparing albums though...I just kinda feel they are all diferent and special in their own way. Biggest thing I like about Beck is his use of a bunch of different sounds in making a song. Ya never really know what you're gonna get from him. The man in my opinion is a genious...the only downside about him is that he is a Scientologist which I totally find a farse. It's definitely a must hear though for old fans and new I think. If a guy really wants to get into Beck though, I would say listen to Odelay or Sea Change...they really show his talent in making music and writing trully amazing lyrics.

#10236  by gruven_teddy
 Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:35 am
i love how Beck's sound keeps re-inventing itself with each album...each one is differnt yet has his originality stilll.....awesome musician.
Mellow Gold rocks

----------

#10237  by phreaker
 Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:59 pm
mellow gold used to be my screen name way back in the day. legend has it that he made that album with less than $200.

I agree with his diversity.

One foot in the grave, midnight vultures and sea change (my three favorites) sound like theyre each written by a totally different person

but ill keep an eye out for this new one