When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #10104  by confusions_prince

After summer 2007, Billy Nershi is leaving The String Cheese Incident to pursue other musical projects. There will be only a limited number of Incidents between now and then. Current plans include Thanksgiving in Atlanta, a New Years Eve blowout in San Francisco, Winter Carnival in Colorado, and a return to Red Rocks. Presently, there are no plans for The String Cheese Incident beyond summer of 2007.
The band would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to our friends and fans for all your support.
:shock: :(

Not every day a band like this rolls around.

#10106  by China Cat

that really sucks. I never got a chance to see them. I had one concert (them and ratdog at festival pier in Philly) that i was going to, but it was outdoors and it rained. They moved it inside, but made it a 21 and older show. They really were a unique band, i hope i can see them somewhere between now and then.

#10107  by phreaker

I've seen them plenty of times, but still not enough.

But hey, maybe this isnt the end. Just the end of Nershi in the Incident.

#10108  by confusions_prince

Phreaker, that's what I hate so much about the wording of the last sentence. Will they continue without Nershi? Will they break up and leave a wake of reunion rumors a la Phish? Most of all, if they do break up, I hope they don't leave in their wake a Vince Welnick. Break ups hurt.

#10109  by Benthegoodbum

I've only seen SCI one time and it was a great show. There really is no band like them! It's a shame Nershi is leaving them but I can understand him wanting to persue other interests. Maybe he will decide to get back together with them after a year or two apart. Heres to hoping! :D

#10111  by shakedown_04092

SCI is one of my favorite bands, but I think their newer stuff lacked what I originally liked about SCI. I dunno, it seemed different, that's all. They put on one HELLUVA show, though. Such great energy and attitudes. A good ol' Billy "aaaawwwwoooooooooooooo!" will get anybody going!

Def gonna miss them, but who knows what'll happen in the future? Change, as we've seen with many musicians, can be a very good thing. Eric Clapton, Miles Davis, heck, even Trey has been a good thing (I know I could be setting myself up for saying that, but I do believe his recent stuff has kicked ass, and if you haven't seen a show, go see for yourself).

All I can say to SCI is thanks for making so many good memories and giving me some inspiration to go on.

#10112  by supermoose

China Cat wrote:that really sucks. I never got a chance to see them. I had one concert (them and ratdog at festival pier in Philly) that i was going to, but it was outdoors and it rained. They moved it inside, but made it a 21 and older show. They really were a unique band, i hope i can see them somewhere between now and then.
was that this past summer? cause I saw them sometime in june or july at the electic factory, first time I ever saw them. I enjoyed the show and the schools of old hippies that flocked to see Ratdog. It's a shame, I really wanted to see more of them.

#10122  by China Cat

yeah it was. i wish i had gone, i heard great things. i'm pretty sure when they moved into the electric factory the show was changed to 21+ since it was such a smaller venue

#10124  by tigerstrat

China Cat wrote:yeah it was. i wish i had gone, i heard great things. i'm pretty sure when they moved into the electric factory the show was changed to 21+ since it was such a smaller venue
Changed to 21+ probably because the venue serves alcohol and doesn't have a permit and/or isn't properly set up to admit minors. Liquor licensing commissions can be a bitch.

No more Cheese huh... I haven't been very interested in them at all since they went all trance-jammy, circa 2000... did give them a few more tries, including Horning's 2003... nothing. Should be an interesting summer next year, more fest attendance spread around.

#10126  by phreaker

their past two studio albums have been wierd. not good wierd, just the kind of wierd that makes you say "wtf, this is SCI?"

they're live shows still kick ass though.

Honkey Tonk Homeslice was supposed to play at a fest in my town (not Wakarusa, but Brewgrass) and for some reason, they couldnt make it. Keller played an extra long set because of that, and it was one of the best shows ive been too.

I guess Nershi is serious about HTH. Almost all of the other members are in other bangs (Kangs solo stuff, EOTO, Zilla) and still seem interested in the Cheese.

Good luck to Nershi, and whatever he decides to do.

#10129  by supermoose

China Cat wrote:yeah it was. i wish i had gone, i heard great things. i'm pretty sure when they moved into the electric factory the show was changed to 21+ since it was such a smaller venue
i got in and im still under 21, i brought my brother who was 16 as well...

#10145  by phreaker

Taken from somewhere else on the web:

I recently did the southern run of the recent cheese tour. I wrote show reviews for Louisville, Roanoke, and the first night of Asheville for Livecheese downloads and my critiques were posted on the sight. In the reviews, I took a preetty critical eye to the boys and knew something was seriously amiss with our bearded hero. No stranger to substance abuse, it was not hard to see that Bill was doing too much of whatever he was doing. His playing was highly erratic in Louisville and i pulled no punches in my review. The band seemed highly annoyed with him, with little to no eye contact for a while, and essentially turned backs by the end. the next night in Roanake Bill was ineven worse shape and the band did the best thye could to hide him. I'll spare you all the details, but the tension was palpable for anyone watching closely. The other band members would grin ear to ear when Bill appeared to be OK to only shudder in near horror as he spazzed his way through the show. During one trancy jam, Bill wandered in circles, not sure even what instrument to play. he eventually decided on a cowbell, of which he proceeded to clank out of rhythm with the music being played, culminating in him completely whiffing the bell on several occasions. Frankly, it became very disturbing to watch, as my girlfriend and i both welled up with tears watching Bill struggle so badly. If you have the tapes of the show, you will here Bill talk out to the audience twice, once saying "what's with all the chatter out here tonight" and another comment somewhat similar about blabbering or something. Bill was not referring to the audience, he was talking to the band who were constantly chatting on the monitors about Bill and how to protect him. I felt my reviews were thoughtful intellectual excerpts on what i was witnessing. Much to my chagrin, later in the afternoon, my reviews were deleted from the website. After a rather heated missive to the website, they told me they were not interested in my "intellectual critiques". The moral of the story, is either Bill is having a difficult time with his substances(highly likely), and the band has had enough. Bill's leaving has nothing to do with "other musical projects". This is an interpersonal decision made by the band who have either had enough, or don't feel they can grow musically or professionally with his inconsistency. Lets be frank, when Bill is on, the boys rock, when he's off, its flagrantly obvious and brings the whole crew with him. Stay tuned as this unfolds, the truth will slowly leak out as microphone after microphone get shoved in their faces over the holiday runs. The band's generic announcement is unsatisfactory and downright insulting and if they think they can holod back bdeeper inquiries into whats really going down, their kidding themselves. I love the Cheese with all my heart and can not thank them enough for all the joy they brought me. Night 2 in Asheville was beyond special. Its sad to see it end this way."
 #10146  by nolehead

man that sucks. i just got a chance to see 2 shows in FL and they were sick as always. For anyone who has not seen SCI, download 5-5-00 from Saenger Theater in new orleans, one of the best shows i have seen by any band.

#10150  by shakedown_04092

Wow, that's heartbreaking. Obviously, this is one persons take on a situation, whether accurate or not, it is worth noting. I find myself doing the "yeah, I can see how that can happen", and the "gee, I wonder if that's what the problem was at this show or that show...."

I hope it's not true, but if it is, I commend the guys in SCI on taking a stance and saying "we're not going on like this" instead of letting it drag out and get worse. Also, if it is true, hopefully Billy finds the help he needs and sees this as a good kick in the ass.

#10155  by confusions_prince

Nolehead, did you see the Pompano show?