When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #140486  by James-T

Ive got a made in China 4500 watt generator that I would like to use to powe my band including my Fractal and K12 powered monitor, small PA and a bass amp, and Mac book. Any advice on trying this. I know I need surge protectors, anything else to be wary of?

It's a remote party only accessible via private boat.

Peace,

James
 #140491  by tatittle

15-20 Hells Angel's make great protecters from what I've heard :lol:
 #140604  by James-T

Yah. I'm a little unsure of this. It's been reading 75 volts but it's benn powering my compressor and chop saw.

Thanks!

JT
 #140605  by mgbills

The compressor & chop saw will be much more forgiving, but frankly i'm surprised they move at full rpm's on 75v.

I definitely would not power my tube rigs with that much variation. If the voltage was close to 110-120 and had 10-15% oscillation I'd use the regulator, but I don't think the thing can correct a 45v delta. (Unsure since I don't own one.) If you have to use it then I'd use a solid state amp you're not wedded to.

Yikes. Just my 2c. I'm sure it's happened to many bands in the past …playing on quite substandard power.
 #140606  by James-T

Yep. I'm thinking about renting a better generator. It was only today I noticed the drop in voltage. It usually runs at 110 volts. It's a blessing that the compressor is still operational. I'm almost done the heavy lifting and can rely on a smaller quieter genny.

It's been an 8 year build.

Peace,

James