When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #138620  by TruckinThruTennessee

So, last night I started thinking "What if Reckoning had come out at a later time?" Then I decided I'd make a game of it to get everyones opinions. Here's the way it goes. If you guys could take ANY song from the Dead catalog ('66-'95) what would you like to hear played acoustically?
You can choose as many songs as you like or just one. Also, put down what lineup you would wanna hear. Have fun!
:D
My choices:

Help On The Way/Slipknot
Lazy Lightning
Cold Rain and Snow
Wharf Rat
And I think that a St Stephen could sound really cool acoustically
My lineup is the 1990 version of the Dead, I'd really love to hear what Brent could bring to that intimate acoustic setting.
 #138621  by HeadSpace

Fun idea. I believe Brent did play on Reckoning, however, so no mystery as to what he'd sound like in that context.

And why not an acoustic Dark Star? That's my nomination.
 #138623  by TruckinThruTennessee

HeadSpace wrote:Fun idea. I believe Brent did play on Reckoning, however, so no mystery as to what he'd sound like in that context.

And why not an acoustic Dark Star? That's my nomination.
You are very correct on reckoning, I haven't had my coffee yet and for some reason I could only think of Keith :oops: . I'd still like to hear older Brent, Crimson, White and Indigo, and Truckin Up to Buffalo from 89 and Dozin from '90. He'd come into his own in the live shows and that blues voice of his would be really sweet.
If we are going Dark Star let's do
Dark Star> St Stephen> The Eleven
 #138628  by ebick

HeadSpace wrote:Brent did play on Reckoning
I have to imagine I Will Take You Home would have been in the set somewhere.
How about Althea, Crazy Fingers, If I Had The World To Give, Lazy River Road?
 #138652  by tatittle

Micheal Hedges or Tommy Emmanuel doing the That's It For The Other One solo maybe 8)

Garcia maybe Reuben and Cherise and Help/Slip/Franklin's. Stuff that honky-tonk piano may do well on like Bertha.

Golden Road (unlimited devotion) may be my favorite Dead "single" (radio type cut). FOTD etc. aren't 'pop' enough for me to call em singles. That might be interesting to see how they handled it. Reckoning is just fantastic, one of my favorites always...sublime jams on Bird Song, Cassidy, etc.

I suspect that long sustain electric is a pretty important part of the magic of World to Give. Such a great progression/song that it would be solid stripped down though.
 #138657  by tatittle

Yeah good call with Chain. Have you heard the demo tape of Phil playing it on acoustic...I think its terrific. He does the same thing I occasionally do writing songs...call out the chords etc. I love those bare bones authentic songwriter performances, prefer them often.
 #138780  by TruckinThruTennessee

So, I have been reading "Relix: The Book" (great read with a lot of cool interviews and Dead inspired art.)
I was reading an interview with Jerry where he was talking about "a song off the new album", which was "Foolish Heart. He said that when he wrote the song it had started out as an acoustic kind of deal but turned into this great electric song. I found it cool that Jerry had originally planned it to be more acoustic based. I'd like to hear them do Foolish acoustically, I also wouldn't mind hearing the 90's lineup doing an acoustic version of Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) > Feedback :lol: