rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #134118  by Octal
 Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:55 pm
Bathroom break tunes, default skips on digital tracks, etc. (some just call them Bobby tunes...)

Minglewood Blues, Around and Around and I Need a Miracle come to mind. I'm having trouble thinking of a Jerry tune I can't stand, but I'm sure there may be a few.

How about you?
 #134120  by TI4-1009
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:32 am
NorthboundRain wrote:Peggy-O, Must Have Been The Roses, They Love Each Other ...
OMG :shock: We must be the opposite of each other. I'd give my left nut and then some to have Jer back for just 10 minutes to do one of those beautiful "Peggy-O" solos where he took it for three or four rounds.
 #134124  by strumminsix
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 am
NorthboundRain wrote:Peggy-O, Must Have Been The Roses, They Love Each Other ...
Agree with all of those and I'll add Brokedown Palance especially as encore. Snoooooooze. Estimated is boring as of late too.

There are none that I "can't stand". But usually the slow wandering ones get turned off on the XM
 #134126  by RiseandFall
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 am
Let me amend my Day Job submission somewhat.
It is my least favorite Dead song, but I'd rather listen to it than ANY Boston, Foreigner, Styxx etc. song.
Simply the musicianship in it makes most all other bands pale in comparison.
But saying "I can't stand it" wouldn't be accurate. Jerry play's guitar in it....now how bad could that really be?
Even a bad song can sound good if the right musicians are playing it....
 #134127  by mgbills
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:25 am
Again & Again.
Looks Like Rain ~ Love the Jerry guitar parts. Wanna puke every time I hear Bob sing it.
Assorted sappy Brent tunes.
Most things Vince did.

With Jerry tunes...there are times when I didn't believe Black Peter (and other dirges) were placed where I would've liked them. I like to boogey, and sometimes those tunes could deflate my personal baloon. Didn't mean (doesn't) I don't enjoy them in a context.
Peace
M
 #134128  by ebick
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 am
RiseandFall wrote:Let me amend my Day Job submission somewhat.
It is my least favorite Dead song, but I'd rather listen to it than ANY Boston, Foreigner, Styxx etc. song.
Simply the musicianship in it makes most all other bands pale in comparison.
But saying "I can't stand it" wouldn't be accurate. Jerry play's guitar in it....now how bad could that really be?
Even a bad song can sound good if the right musicians are playing it....
I just finished watching a great documentary on Yes, one of other favorite bands.....in fact before I got into the Dead, I was completely submerged in Yes World. That's a band who went through so many personnel changes. For me, Yes was, is, and always will be Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Steve Howe & Rick Wakeman (my ear's not that good on drummers, sorry, either Alan or Bill are just fine for me).

The point is......I was just thinking that very same thing as I listened to some of "other" Yes stuff.......bad Yes is better than good Motley Crue.

For Peggy-O. I get it.....It was one of those songs they seemed to play every time I saw them. But I do like the song.

For me, it's Victim, Picasso Moon, Don't Ease.
 #134131  by flyingheelhook
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 am
OMG We must be the opposite of each other. I'd give my left nut and then some to have Jer back for just 10 minutes to do one of those beautiful "Peggy-O" solos where he took it for three or four rounds.
+10
 #134132  by strumminsix
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:32 am
Say what you will about Day Job but Jerry played the living shit out of that song. It inspired him something fierce and for that I'll have an appreciation greater than the song deserves.
 #134133  by flyingheelhook
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:36 am
Live? They could give me whatever they wanted to serve up.

These days when listening to whatever source, I do find myself skipping some songs some days, and others on other days, but I think that plays more into what I am trying to learn at the time.
 #134134  by tcsned
 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 am
The only time I didn't care for a tune is when it seemed like they were just mailing it in. I would get more disappointed when they would do a lackluster performance of a great tune than a CC Rider, Day Job, or sappy Brent tune.