rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #114465  by Grateful Dad
 Tue May 29, 2012 8:25 pm
Doc Watson died today :cry:

He was just in Glenside, PA at the Keswick Theatre last June and I saw him at the Philly Folk Festival a few years ago. Very inspirational artist, I am glad I had the chance to see him perform.

RIP Doc
 #114466  by amyjared
 Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 pm
Bummer! Doc was the real deal. He was funny, humble, and talented as they come. I saw him many times, and also have a couple of instructional vid's he did through the Homespun series. Highly recommended. He will be missed...
 #114486  by tcsned
 Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am
amyjared wrote:Bummer! Doc was the real deal. He was funny, humble, and talented as they come. I saw him many times, and also have a couple of instructional vid's he did through the Homespun series. Highly recommended. He will be missed...
+1 on that. He was a huge influence on me and a lot of folks a lot better than me. I saw him a bunch and got to meet him a few times. He brought that Peidmont Country-Blues style to a larger audience and was one helluva picker.
 #114519  by Pete B.
 Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am
Thanks for the inspiration, Doc!
When I saw you play Black Mountain Rag at age 16, that changed my life forever.
Two tracks (rhythm/lead) on a Taylor 710. Stuff I like to play in the Doc style.
(...seems like I used to be able to play it faster when I was 16).
http://picosong.com/w425/
 #114523  by PaulJay
 Thu May 31, 2012 1:29 pm
Pete, That sounded great. Doc was my favorite Flatpicker then comes Norman. Glad the music will be around for years to come. Thanks ,Paul
 #114584  by wolftigerrosebud
 Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:32 pm
anyone who has a membership on lossless legs (shnflac) should go over there and check out the doc bootlegs.... there must have been 30 different great doc watson recordings up.

RIP doc, wish i could've seen him perform. great guitarist, he was the first steel string guitarist whose music i loved.