When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #114148  by Phil Lesh101

I would love to have an In-ear monitor... and keep all of my stuff on stage behind me, including speakers just like furthur :-)
 #124185  by Takilma

In Ear Monitor Advice:

With in ear monitors, you have several approaches for the best possible sound. If you're vocal conscious, you need to have a direct from the PA/monitor mix so you can adjust your own sound without the need of relying (solely) on a soundman (if you have or need one at all) and if you have trouble hearing the amps (speakers) onstage, all you have to do is set up a binaural mike set up (left and right) to hear that stuff and again, set the volume to balance your own specifications. Take notes on the settings when you get them, keep EVERYTHING constant and most of all, DO NOT increase the volume or frequencies on the high end. I ended up doing this in the studio and lost a certain amount of highs in my hearing and this became permanent. In ears are the best if you're a vocal and vocal harmony nut as the chances for feedback are practically NILL.
If you do a separate or different mix from the electric norm- say...acoustic, you might 1) want to run everything through this instead of just vocals in order to hear the lesser volumed acoustic stuff better and also provide a stereo mix, at least for the instruments alone while the vocals would or could be set in mono to help distinguish the two.
 #124189  by beaner

We use a pair of the QSC K12's and they seem to place the sound levels comfortably at your ears. But I'm still crying.............
 #124253  by zambiland

I bring a splitter and a Metric Halo ULN-8 rig for ears. I also usually bring some nice mics as well. It sounds stunning every night. Having to rely on monitors is now kind of a bummer after getting used to that.
 #124312  by easytoslip

I've seen people experimenting with in ears lately. Reading through some of the replies here makes me think it might be alright to chime in: from an aud spot, I ball tissues for in my ears. Great volume control, takes out some of the intolerable loudness (ppl screeching or talking in my ear), dulls the all around noise just enough that if I stand in certain spots I can ricochet my voice off stuff in the room to hear myself a little better, otherwise I can just hear myself in my own head or whatever. My ears never ring when I get home from shows anymore, which is great. I used to be seriously deaf for awhile after and didn't like losing my hearing sensitivity. Regular ear plugs are too much though, I only use those when I sleep days or work in a loud setting.