When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #109532  by rugger

Just saw that Phil's version of TRI, Terrapin Crossroads, is opening soon with 12 dates of Phil and Friends. I'm considering heading up to a show and was looking for some opinions on which players to see. I have my own opinions on Herring, Haynes, Kadlecik and some of the others in their own context, but none on their work with PAF. So, those of you that have kept up with post Grateful Dead endeavors, who do you like in Phil and Friends?

Btw, here is a link to the scheduled lineups:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/58018/1 ... Crossroads

john in san diego
 #109533  by dleonard

I really like Jimmy Herring, and the opportunities to see him don't seem as abundant as John Kadlecik and Warren Haynes. I'm not familiar with Larry Campbell
 #109537  by rugger

DenverEd wrote:$150??!?!

I'll pass
This thread isn't about the cost of the ticket, but your opinion of the players. Do you have one? I'd love to hear it if you do.

Peace.

john in san diego
 #109540  by FretfulDave

Getting back on track...

I would love to hear the early 2000's version of Phil and Friends, i.e. Phil, John Molo, Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, and Rob Barraco.

To me this was the most creative lineup he had. No one worried about emulating Jerry, at least the way I see it, and just played free interpretations of the music. Loved it! The show at Stabler back in 2001 ranks as the best show I have ever seen from any band, including the Grateful Dead. They were so on that night, the "night of a thousand stars".

Another $0.02 out there in the world.

Dave
 #109546  by Adam Deckard

Sorry to be getting off track again, but does anyone else think that Jimmy Herring's guitar playing with the dead/philfriends etc.. just doesnt really mesh? He has always struck me as a source of incredible talent on the guitar but it stops there. Like I am totally entertained at how good he is on guitar after the first couple songs, then its just more of the same for the rest of the show.. giant pentatonic scale that last for hours.
 #109557  by Bear62

I would suggest seeing a show w/ Larry Campbell. He plays Pedal Steel, Acoustic & Electric guitars, Violin and sings! I have seen him w/ Bob Dylan, whom he played w/ for MANY years. Also saw him w/ Phil in 2008( I think) when Levon Helm opened for PAF in Chicago. Larry played w/ both bands! Jackie Greene is superb as well. We met him in the sweltering October heat at The Riviera in Chicago several yrs ago. I would encourage everyone to see these fine musicians.
 #109571  by ugly rumor

I agree with adam; Jimmy Herring plays what I consider to be "on top" of the music, not really in it. Larry Campbell used to have that problem, but I think he finally "got" it. Barry Sless is my all-time favorite Phil & Friends guitarist; very tasteful and a consummate understanding of the music; a contributor who's ego is not in the mix. Least favorite would be Warren Haynes, who I consider to be a boring guitarist, and I've seen him more than perhaps any single guitarist, in incarnations including the Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule (a mixture of Grand Funk Railroad and Black Sabbath without the novelty or freshness), Phil & Friends, the Dead, and solo. Well, and then there's Chris Robinson, who is not a guitarist at all, in my opinion. The only band I have seen more than the Grateful Dead is Phil & friends, who I will also see tonight and Saturday. I never saw them with Derek Trucks, but I have heard those shows, and he is great. Jackie Greene is also surprisingly good.
I also agree with DenverEd; the price is high. I think Phil is attempting a west coast replication of Levon Helm's Barn in Woodstock. A friend of mine who plays there occasionally informs me that Levon gets $200 for a Saturday night Barn Dance performance. A good way to get revenue without the burden of the road.
I saw all the Phil & Friend Chicago shows, so was at the riviera in '07. Funny story, I was close to the stage on Phil's side, and the guy in front of me was dancing and runni ng into me repeatedly. I politely asked him to be aware several times, and he informed me that I just didn't "get it", that dancing was part of it (young kid). He kept encroaching on my space, so I grabbed his pants and pulled them down. He stopped being inconsiderate immediately. Maybe one day I will get it; we'll have to see!
 #109594  by playingdead

ugly rumor wrote:I saw all the Phil & Friend Chicago shows, so was at the riviera in '07. Funny story, I was close to the stage on Phil's side, and the guy in front of me was dancing and runni ng into me repeatedly. I politely asked him to be aware several times, and he informed me that I just didn't "get it", that dancing was part of it (young kid). He kept encroaching on my space, so I grabbed his pants and pulled them down. He stopped being inconsiderate immediately. Maybe one day I will get it; we'll have to see!
LOL!

This reminds me of the kid next to me at the Spectrum in May of 81 ... fifth row or so. He had had way too many drinks or Quaaludes or some similar combination. Everyone was standing on their chairs up front, and he kept losing his balance every 30 seconds and clutching my arm to keep from going over. I got tired of it after a couple of songs, and next time he made the grab, I moved my arm away and down he went. He was fine but way too wasted to climb back up. He gave up trying and wandered away. To puke, probably. That was definitely on the agenda.

I caught that free streaming Phil and Friends show a couple nights ago. It was Russo, Chimenti, Jackie Green, Warren and John Scholfield. It was good, but kind of re-emphasized how I feel about Warren's playing ... incredibly soulful singer (probably my favorite to sing the Jerry songs), and the perfect guitarist for the Allmans but in this context, he just plays great riffs but doesn't really drive the bus anywhere. The music was good, but nothing magical was really happening. Quality of the webcast was kind of dull, too, sound was pretty good but it was just a fixed camera on the whole band. Would be much more involving with a multi-camera thing happening.

I agree that the 2000 Quintet was the all time best P&F lineup, I caught some shows at the Orpheum that were stellar.
 #109597  by strumminsix

Wow, I'm gettin' on my flame retardant suit...

But I honestly will never see another P&F show again. Phil is the worst singer I've seen live more than once, he can't carry a note (yeah I know health probs), but worse, is his timing is fucking horrendous! And he brings in people into the mix that don't know Dead and fake it. So that means I wouldn't see any shows with Robinson or Greene. If suddenly Furthur stopped and Bobby retired and then DSO disbanded then maybe I'd see:

March 25 (Sunday) - Phil Lesh * Grahame Lesh * Jeff Chimenti * John Kadlecik *Joe Russo * Larry Campbell * Teresa Williams

March 27 (Tuesday) - Phil Lesh * Grahame Lesh * Jeff Chimenti *Joe Russo * Larry Campbell * Teresa Williams * Warren Haynes

March 29 (Thursday) - Phil Lesh * Grahame Lesh * Jeff Chimenti *Joe Russo * Larry Campbell * Teresa Williams * Warren Haynes