rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #105162  by paulkogut
 Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:18 pm
Hope all are having a happy Veteran's Day. Anyone looking to give something back to the troops should check out Guitars 4 Vets http://www.guitars4vets.org/
They provide guitar lessons at VA hospitals to help with physical and PTSD rehab. Check out their site to find a local chapter, there's lots of ways to help (Put on a benefit concert, donate an old guitar, teach some lessons, etc) Wave that flag……
 #105324  by MAGGOTBRAIN
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:57 am
Thank you very much for posting this! What a great program. Im making arrangements to donate an unused acoustic to the Cleveland, OH chapter :cool:
 #105325  by jahozer
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:00 am
Thanks Paul.
I actually live 5 minutes from the Coatesville VA center. I will contact them!
 #105338  by tcsned
 Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am
Good timing Paul! I had just volunteered to teach a few lessons with our local chapter. Music is a great rehab vehicle.
 #110203  by jahozer
 Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm
I just placed my first guitar with a vet last night and gave the first lesson. The dude was super stoked. Very rewarding experience. If any of you can do it , I would highly recommend it. Took a while to get into the system (govt forms and whatnot), but definitely a worthwhile experience.

The VA near me is a psych hospital. The guys there are trying to find their way. Some are there for substance abuse, some for PTSD. To give them something to have and hold onto is just really nice.
For me its easy. 5 minutes away, sharing something I love to do anyway. Its no real sacrifice at all. Why not share that with guys that have sacrificed so much.