rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

lets the rukind.org users talk about their up and coming gigs
 #97712  by tcsned
 Mon May 02, 2011 6:05 pm
We're playing at Schooners in Roanoke on May 17 it's a benefit for the victims of the tornado that stuck the nearby town of Pulaski (about 20 miles from me). A lot of homes were totally wiped out. It's a cool club - we just played there this past weekend. Only our second gig of the year. Kind of a biker bar - woo-hoo! We're playing last at 9pm. A nice variety of cool local bands - should be a fun time.

Here's a couple of pics from our last show there:
these drums sure make it easy to control stage volume

My wife and vocalist - soon to be Beatrice in "Much Ado About Nothing"

Wendy rockin' the strat

probably my last gig with this guitar - the new on is getting wired up now

we even bring interpretive dancers :cool:

my recently resuscitated '79 strat - I played a couple of tunes on it. Some great Aligator tones through the SMS preamp
 #97727  by JonnyBoy
 Tue May 03, 2011 8:59 am
Love it! I am surprised y'all aren't playing that much?? Super cool you come out to help others like that though!! That would be a nice thing to do here too... a few things got trashed here with tornados! on top of seeing one for reals! Spooky Spring. :smile:

Also those electric Drums, they sound good, I guess it has to do with the drummer if he can deal with the feel or not...
 #97734  by tcsned
 Tue May 03, 2011 11:37 am
JonnyBoy wrote:Love it! I am surprised y'all aren't playing that much?? Super cool you come out to help others like that though!! That would be a nice thing to do here too... a few things got trashed here with tornados! on top of seeing one for reals! Spooky Spring. :smile:

Also those electric Drums, they sound good, I guess it has to do with the drummer if he can deal with the feel or not...
Yeah, we haven't gotten out much - I'm trying to finish my dissertation and have been commuting a couple of days a week to a college in West Virginia to do some consulting work and my wife has been doing a lot of theater that's slowed things down this winter. We've only played two gigs this year but we set attendance records for the venue at both of em :cool: Our season is starting to fill up and my bluegrass band starts getting busy around this time too.

The electric drums do make it a lot easier to get a balanced level on stage. He's been playing them for 7 or 8 years so he's gotten to be pretty natural on them - though it didn't really take him long. We were all doing the direct to mixer thing back then, we all went back to amps but he kept the electronic kit.
 #98251  by tcsned
 Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 am
A good time was had by all and we raised $3,000 for the tornado victims - which is $3,000 more than FEMA is going to give this community that took several million dollars in damage - most to homes of low income folks with no insurance.