Crap people ask me to do on a saturday.
 #108413  by mgbills

Good Evening Folks,

Anyone know when (specifically) the Bird Song on Reckoning was recorded?

I study with this great jazz guitar teacher who has a fundamental Garcia appreciation. I'm trying to steer my lessons away from quadruple flat 6th's, and improvisations on Blue Monk...to something a little more melodic.

I'm trying to avoid burning a CD & have some comparative year/version things that I'd like to send to him via links to Internet Archive.

Thanks in advance!

Peace
M
 #108427  by tigerstrat

Not that you asked, but for my money, 9/12/81 has one of the BOAT latter-day Bird Songs
 #108437  by mgbills

Both comments were very helpful. I'm going to have to listen to the Reckoning version. I thought the 10-31-80 solo sounded different, but I'll revisit it.

Tigerstrat - Blew my mind. The longer I play GD, the more I love studying rhythm parts. Karma ...I took many a shower during Bobby numbers. Prophet or the Pariah. Cowboy songs equaled showers. Bob's rhythm opener is just stellar. Love this version.
Love it. Love it. I did my first East Coast tour in the spring of that year.

Thanks for sharing that.
 #108440  by Tennessee Jedi

mgbills wrote:Both comments were very helpful. I'm going to have to listen to the Reckoning version. I thought the 10-31-80 solo sounded different, but I'll revisit it.
I'm not sure - I thought it was the one .... you may be right though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckoning_ ... ding_dates
Hmmmmm - the one track not listed is the Birdsong ....
Maybe poke around
html/setlistprograms.html
This could maybe help too
Check this vid out
 #128682  by seamones

mgbills wrote:Both comments were very helpful. I'm going to have to listen to the Reckoning version. I thought the 10-31-80 solo sounded different, but I'll revisit it.

Tigerstrat - Blew my mind. The longer I play GD, the more I love studying rhythm parts. Karma ...I took many a shower during Bobby numbers. Prophet or the Pariah. Cowboy songs equaled showers. Bob's rhythm opener is just stellar. Love this version.

Thanks for sharing that.
Showers?
 #128685  by Pete B.

seamones wrote:

Thanks for sharing that.
Showers?
Let's just say, if you're standing in front of Bobby at a show, it "Looks Like Rain" when he powers up for the high notes.
 #128686  by tcsned

I know this is an old post but if you've got a good jazz teacher and want to move away from bebop and the more "outside" stuff you should work on swing tunes - Django and Charlie Christian - Django was a big influence on Jerry and that stuff relates more to the melody than some of the stuff from the late 50s-70s.
 #128720  by mgbills

Sorry Seamones for not replying.

I remember shows on both Coasts that had shower points. I remember in the humid Northeastern US, I shower from a chunk of PVC pipe could be the best thing in the whole world. So...Bobby would play "Looks Like Rain"...and I head for the head...or to the showers. Again & Again...stuff like that. Just a little break in the action to cool the brain.

Long days gone.
 #144389  by tatittle

Radio City Music Hall shows from late 1981, same ones Dead Set was recorded from I believe.
I'm no authority but I think this tour was the only acoustic since 1970 (besides 1 offs, possibly TV appearances). Quotes suggest Bobby wasn't too enthusiastic about acoustic sets.